Eating Boar Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating Boar Hogs

I'm sure been discussed here repeatedly, but what are yalls thoughts on eating a boar hog? Even ones in the 200Lb range? There a lot of hogs hitting my feeders just after dark. If I shot a big boar should I process it or drag it off and leave for the coyotes?

Go take a look. Load it up to haul. If it doesn't stink it's probably good to eat.

But that's what's great about hog hunting. If you're tired or don't want to mess with it just leave it for yotes.

Also boars taste different depending on food sources and age. With endless food they can get to 200# fast and be great eating. If they struggle to find food a 120# boar could be nasty. All depends.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
      I'm sure been discussed here repeatedly, but what are yalls thoughts on eating a boar hog? Even ones in the 200Lb range? There a lot of hogs hitting my feeders just after dark. If I shot a big boar should I process it or drag it off and leave for the coyotes?
      Did it plenty as a kid but not anymore, I would again if I had to.
      I can remember walking into the kitchen, smelling meat frying and knowing right away it was from a boar.
      Has a smell of its own for sure.
      Kinda like goats milk, if you can get by the smell it ain't too bad.

Comment

If it stinks don't eat it.

Comment

Around home I won’t mess with the board unless they’re small (100lbs or less) but where we hunt near Fredericksburg those hogs are much cleaner and smell way less rank normally. I’ve cleaned boars up to 200lbs and they’re excellent tasting. Just a pain skinning that’s hide off them

Comment

Pretty much what RiverRat said. I have shot some that were rank rank and could smell before I even got close to them. We hauled them off. The ones that didn't smell up close we have ate and they have been fine table fare. I would prefer a 125lb sow though if I had my rather.

Comment

My wife shot a big one and it ate good.

Comment

Always pull the straps out at least. Fine table fare.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Give me a 5lb piglet whole on the pit.

Comment

We eat them, all most are over 200# and we prefer the bigger boars. We have only had one that was rank as he was just in a fight and we kill many all year long. Boars are typically heavier in fat content than sows. Especially if the sows are nursing and drawn down. We have found most boars to be better tasting and they make a heck of a grind with Boston butt for fat for pan or sausage. I will shoot a lone boar over a sow any day. This is our preference others think otherwise.

Comment

Best ones to eat.

Comment

I need some more info before I answer. Did you and this boar approve of the Superbowl halftime show?

Comment

You need this book https://thehogbook.com/store/p/the-hog-book

Didn’t realize it’s so expensive, but it’s great

Comment

No. Regardless of size the smell is there, ive tried multiple times from 40-5lbs and never taken more than a bite. Plenty of sows to eat if i want a pig.

Comment

I eat em all.... there isnt a protein that I can't at least make jerkey from.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X