Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everybody wants to be country, until it’s time to do some country stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everybody wants to be country, until it’s time to do some country stuff!

Anybody else ever noticed that?

I helped a coworker butcher some pigs last week. My dispatch method was to shoot them in the head, and then immediately cut their throats. I didn’t notice until the third pig that every time it came time to kill another, he needed to fiddle with the tractor, or coil a water hose, or anything other than be there. I offered him the pistol or the knife for the last pig, and he almost put his hands in his pockets. Same story when it came time to roll the guts out. He hid his gags pretty well, but he durn sure wasn’t offering to try his hand at any of it. This wasn’t a young guy either, late forties, early fifties.

On the other end of the spectrum, we once had our preacher come out to kill a deer, and he center-punched the back of a bucks’ head at 200 yards, and had the biggest laugh ever showing off how the buck’s spread was “adjustable”!

To each, his own.
    No biggie...

Comment

There’s a difference between wanting to be country and those that are country
      I grew up in the country in the middle of nowhere in East Tx. Nearest town was 20 miles away & nearest convenient store was 8 miles.
      I remember as a kid going to check traps with grandfather & he head shoot a raccoon. Most exciting one is seeing a bobcat caught in a #3 spring trap clawed a tree from 7 ft to the ground level. Starts screaming & growling when you approach it
      My favorite pass time was frog gigging
      I grew up on garden vegetables only. Never ate from a can of vegetables until I got married & it was awful

Comment

I'm pretty "country" but I dont like using hog traps all that much and always feel a little different when its time to kill whatever pigs are in it. I hate pigs as much as anybody, but feel kinda bad especially for the last one that saw everything else happen. Its certainly not something that i enjoy or look forward to, and will get it done as quickly and effectively as possible.

I know guys and have seen it, where people will fumble around with old crappy guns that are jamming or misfiring in between shots. Or shoot a few, then go get a beer, then shoot the others. Or shoot one and let their dog terrorize the others. Etc etc....I know they are just pigs but I always loose alittle respect for anybody that does it this away.

Comment

I'm not country but just finished 2 miles of fencing for BIL and I still don't want to be country.

Comment

Lots of real country folk don’t like to kill. It’s not a sign of country or not country. My FIL grew up in a family who farmed all their own food from vegetables to chickens, pork and beef. He’s as tough as they come but he just couldn’t stand the killin. I have to do all the killing for him.

Comment

I grew up like many others raising & butchering our own pork, chicken , etc. we did take our beef to the packing plant and still do along with our farm raised pork now. Learned at a young age(7 or8) to do exactly like the op stated, shoot them in the head and immediately cut the throat and get them hung up. Over the years I've learned that some people can do it and some can't country or not. We trapped hogs for years and fed them out until they were ready to butcher, always had a bunch of people when there was multiple hogs to process and saw men that I had grown up hunting around that couldn't or maybe just wouldn't shoot those hogs in the pen(I had seen them kill hogs in the wild), it is just different than shooting an animal in the wild. With that said I don't enjoy the killing of any animal that I've raised to butcher no matter what it is but I do what has to be done and do my best to do it with respect to the animals life. But I sure do enjoy the eating of said animal and imo it is better than anything you can buy at a chain grocery store.

Comment

You are SO country…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not everyone can be like this guy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5OsKLAs4A"]If you had 24 hours with me and I couldn’t say no - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have a uncle that will walk away when its time to shoot the Christmas hog. As soon as he hears the hog drop and kick he will jump right in and help. Guess he’s not a fan on the killin part but everything else he’s right there with us.

Comment

I still hate cutting the throat of a deer I shot that is alive. I will always do it because that is the ethical thing to do but I don't like it.

Comment

Well according to Earle, if you don't fix a tree, widdle sticks, gig frogs, gut hogs, swim in the creek with your bird dog, dip, catch bass and cats with a rod and reel, kill bucks from the top of a windmill and of course, have a barbed wire tattoo that goes all the way around...you just ain't country.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                          Lots of real country folk don’t like to kill. It’s not a sign of country or not country. My FIL grew up in a family who farmed all their own food from vegetables to chickens, pork and beef. He’s as tough as they come but he just couldn’t stand the killin. I have to do all the killing for him.
                          This. I live on land in the “country” and I’m not a fan of killing things at point blank range, still don’t like hauling calves to the sale (I do it but don’t enjoy it), and I don’t even like to shoot doe. I think you can be “country” and have a soft spot for animals.

Comment

I like the entire process as a whole in regards to harvesting an animal from field to table but watching something die at my own hands doesn’t bring me any joy. Its part of the whole but by itself I dont like it. If It didn’t serve a purpose I certainly wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It doesn’t bother me to kill an animal if it serves a purpose. I don’t respect those who kill just to kill, but harvesting an animal for food or to eradicate a pestilence (feral hogs) is purposeful and causes me no grief or heartache.

Having said this, I don’t like to seeing animals being abused or tortured and I don’t particularly enjoy seeing them in distress (which is why we don’t allow traps or snares on our place).

Comment

Working...
                              X