• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hix View Post
    Saw a case of similac on GunBroker for $799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    same case was $1499 on Cheaperthandirt.com

Comment

Just a handful of formula makers dominate the industry so a single plant shutdown can lead to empty shelves.

Let me summarize...

It's a good idea for babies to have food.

Government comes in and:
      - regulates production for "safety" thereby reducing the number of producers
      - buys half of the production for WIC, thus monopolizing demand
      - closes down a factory that produced 1/4 of the nation's formula due to 4 "suspected" deaths due to contaminants
      - makes it illegal to import formula
      - makes it illegal for WIC to switch brands due to supply issues

Government straight up made this mess by overregulation, over enforcement, and overall meddling in the free market.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
        https://www.npr.org/2022/05/19/10997...mula-shortages

Let me summarize...

It's a good idea for babies to have food.

Government comes in and:
        - regulates production for "safety" thereby reducing the number of producers
        - buys half of the production for WIC, thus monopolizing demand
        - closes down a factory that produced 1/4 of the nation's formula due to 4 "suspected" deaths due to contaminants
        - makes it illegal to import formula
        - makes it illegal for WIC to switch brands due to supply issues

Government straight up made this mess by overregulation, over enforcement, and overall meddling in the free market.
        Then it throws $$$ at the problem hoping it will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
          This sounds like such a simple solution but its just not that simple at all. Not all cows are dairy cows Mike! lol We tried it and it wasn't working out. Doctor recommended we get on formula. (For both kids.) Trust me I wish it was that easy because the stuff is high dollar. I have a daughter that is about a month away from being off the formula, and she is on some hypoallergenic stuff thats like $40 per small can. The shortage is a legit thing. Our daughter was on the Similac stuff before the recall, and once we found a brand our daughter took after we couldn't get Similac we kept as much on hand as we could. We have still almost completely run out twice. If we see 5 cans on the shelf we buy all 5 because you may not see it on the shelf again for a month or so.

You both are correct. Natural is far more benefit for the baby but there are a small percentage of mothers who truly can’t produce. Deal is that is an extremely small percentage of the women that choose to feed formula.

Comment

Working...
          X