No announcement yet.

Gulf Coast Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re getting it for free and don’t mind a project you’ll probably come out alright. If you have to pay for the boat, I wouldn’t mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      If you’re getting it for free and don’t mind a project you’ll probably come out alright. If you have to pay for the boat, I wouldn’t mess with it.
      I'd say the same. And I'd also add with that old of an outboard you need to go into it planning to repower with a new motor and then if you can figure it out and get a little more use out of the one that is on there, great. It wouldn't take much for repairs to be more than the motor is worth. Even if you get it free and are ok with repowering it and having the transom fixed you need to make sure you'll be happy with that hull because you will sink some money into it to get it right.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone! I am not looking at buying this boat - grandpa is selling the family place in Galveston and would give it to me. Seeing as I am just starting my career I was looking at this being a reasonable way to get into a rig that I can use for a couple of years before I can afford paying 30k +- for a used rig that is 10-15 yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
          Thanks for the input everyone! I am not looking at buying this boat - grandpa is selling the family place in Galveston and would give it to me. Seeing as I am just starting my career I was looking at this being a reasonable way to get into a rig that I can use for a couple of years before I can afford paying 30k +- for a used rig that is 10-15 yrs old.
          If you can do some of the work,that makes it better. For free definitely worth looking into. Make sure he has all the titles etc. That part can be a royal PIA at tpwd if you are trying to get in your name.

Comment

Yes, he has all titles etc. I am very handy with a wrench, especially on older 2 strokes. I can also do the trailer work and wiring if needed. The transom repair is over my head though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
              Yes, he has all titles etc. I am very handy with a wrench, especially on older 2 strokes. I can also do the trailer work and wiring if needed. The transom repair is over my head though.

Go for it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd haul it to or get a boat repair shop to check out the transom. What kind of trailer does it have? Aluminum??

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  I'd haul it to or get a boat repair shop to check out the transom. What kind of trailer does it have? Aluminum??
                  No, a galvanized tandem sportsman. Surprisingly it is in great shape other than needing leafs. All bunks, lights, and guide poles replaced within the last year.

Comment

Cheaper to rebuild a 2 smoke than a 4 stroke. If it's a task you want, I'd probably have the hull checked out first.

Then order parts for the motor

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Cheaper to rebuild a 2 smoke than a 4 stroke. If it's a task you want, I'd probably have the hull checked out first.

Then order parts for the motor

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Agree definitely fix the transom and if the rest of the hull is solid itll last you a long time. Motor could be easy but worst case you repower it with a nice used motor. If trailer is good, hull is solid and transom is fixed wouldn’t be a bad deal, but the age of the hull and depending on if you repower and with what, I would suspect best case re-selling 20-22k. So anything you spend over that fixing it up your not getting back.

Comment

That would probably be a good deal if you are starting at zero. That is a solid motor, probably just tune up and water pump job and hoses and you are good there.

Transom could get intensive, but hopefully its not too bad, transom rebuild is not that brutal if you have ever done glass work.

Comment

New transom in that boat in going to run you $3500-$4000. I would check compression in the motor first. A cooling jacket flush and a new impeller might work wonders.

Comment

Working...
                          X