Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SETXHUNT0902 View Post
    I would not recommend that setup.

Go heavy on the arrow and a good fixed blade head will be a much better option.

No way in hell a mechanical COC and heavy arse arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

COC, 450+ arrow, 70#s and you're golden if you have a decent draw length.

Comment

fixed head and those axis are great.. I like the axis 5mm HIT and they were like 10.7gpi on the 300 spine

Comment

Never killed a nilgai, let alone with a bow. There are a ton of people that kill elk every year with 475gr of total arrow weight, with mechanicals at that. If you’re not set up already or plan on changing your whole set up you might not need to other than your broadheads. I’m not bashing heavy arrows as there is nothing wrong with them but I’m not a fan of completely changing everything for one hunt.

What is your total arrow weight right now?

Comment

As mentioned a heavy arrow and super sharp COC head. But the biggest thing is shot placement. The vitals on a Nilgai are farther forward than an elk/whitetail. Make sure you take that quartering away shot to slip that arrow up behind the shoulder. If you have to take a broadside shot keep it tight to the crease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now that would be a fun hunt. No advice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                Ask permission to shoot a rifle. I’ve seen two bulls in the last 3-4 years with arrows sticking out of their side. One crossing sarita creek and another on a friends farm in Willacy county. I understand rifles aren’t fool proof but the thought of shooting an animal that big with a bow makes my head spin.
                He was invited on BOW only hunt. Not sure if you missed that or not…

Comment

I killed a cow with a VAP TKO 350 with a 50 grain insert at the tip with a 125 grain Montec g5 cut on contact.

I hit a giant bull at 16 yards with exact same set up in the shoulder blade and it snapped the arrow in half on contact soooo, make sure and don’t hit the shoulder blade lol

Comment

I hope you kill a big one.. I've been looking for a nilgai bow hunt...

Comment

After shooting a nilgai bull at 200 yards with a 300 win mag (200 grain Berger solid core bullet), slightly quartering to me, knocking him off his feet only to see him get back up and run off never to be seen again... I went a heavy arrow for my archery nilgai hunt.

Victory VAP SS 250s, 28" long, AAE Hybrid 26 fletchings, Iron Will 200 grain single bevel broadheads, 75 grain Iron Will Snyder Core inserts with the 25 grain stainless steel collar. Total arrow weight 640 grains @ 20% FOC.

Never got to connect with this arrow but feel confident that it would go all the way through and leave a blood trail.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Comment

I built an elk arrow that I'm shooting everything with at this point. VAP RIP TKO 250, 50gr Iron Will HIT insert, 10gr Iron Will titanium collar, 125gr head. Total weight is 490gr with 15% FOC. Shooting a PSE Levitate at 300fps. If going after Nilgai I would put a two blade cut on contact like an Iron Will or Kudu. Barring a shoulder shot, I think this setup would get an exit wound.

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Poison or exploding tips would be best !

Comment

I've shot two with two different arrow sets ups out of roughly the same bow (spec wise). First was a 500 grain maxima red with a German kinetic fixed head moving at 280fps. Bull was broadside and 28 yards. I was in a tree. He ducked big time, like almost put his chest on the ground. Arrow hit bottom of spine (was aiming at his heart). Bull fell over in the water paralyzed and drowned.

Second Bull was 25 yards. Was in a ground blind. Arrow was 700gr moving at 245fps. Was using a grim reaper white tail special. Bull was quartering away. Entire Arrow disappeared and was sticking out of offside shoulder. He was down in 3-4 seconds but still went 100 yards. Hit both lungs and clipped top of heart. I have a 30in draw and pull 77lbs.

Get a heavy arrow and a iron will wide head. I almost had a pass though with my 700gr arrow on my NM bison (he was 2000lbs). I like the easton dangerous game arrows for my heavy setup.

PM me if you have specific questions. I like to bowhunt big stuff...lol

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                              He was invited on BOW only hunt. Not sure if you missed that or not…
                              Goodness gracious, how did I miss that. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Working...
                              X