Cleaning out a cattle guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning out a cattle guard

So, I need to clean out a cattle guard. Don’t have heavy equipment. Could rent a mini x or whatever but I figure surely there’s a way to flip up a cattle guard without heavy equipment. Anyone have ideas?

I would think you could flip it out with a chain and pickup. Then the work starts with a shovel.

Comment

How do I get it to pull up though? It’s sitting in a concrete channel so I need the chain to head upwards dont i? Was thinking maybe a tire and wheel and run the chain over it? I dunno what I’m doing here as usual so trying to think it through before I start next week or whatever.

Comment

You can pull or Jack one side up and slide 2X4s under it and then do the other side and then pull it out.

Comment

The concrete channel changes things. I would have hooked the chain to the far side of the CG and flipped it out. I’m not sure if that will work for you with the concrete. It also may break the concrete.

Comment

Maybe try a chain from the hitch of your truck to another chain going to both far sides of the cg with a wheel and tire under the single chain giving that upward force.

Comment

That concretes probably going to make it hard. I’d just rent a mini excavator. Will save you a ton of time moving it and cleaning it out. Will make it a lot easier leveling it when you put it back also.

Comment

Maybe run your chain over the top of a tall 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be careful if that c/guard is very heavy. Those minis don’t weigh much and you can flip them pretty easily. You might find that it’s grown to the ground too, cleaned many out and they can be tough to move if they’re full. Good luck !

Comment

Chains from your hitch under the first bar on your side on both left and right side of CG, then under bars to the far side bar, then out to another truck. Tighten up to lift, then slide pipes under CG to keep it up.

Comment

You need a tractor with a bucket or hay forks. Cradle guard with chains from both ends to lift out or you may damage your base. Once one side comes up and clears you are good to go even if it tilts. We did a lot with winch truck but backhoe or tractor with bucket was best. Backhoe if you can use one so you can clean out then replace guard.

Comment

Find a local hydro vac company and see if they have the attachment to suck out the cattle guard. When I was running one we would go out to several large ranches to clean out their guards.

Comment

I designed one so you don't have to pull the whole thing out to clean. It wont let me upload the video so here are a couple of screen shots of what I came up with.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Create a fulcrum. Get an old 18 wheeler rim and stand it up, run the chain over it down to the guard. Pull the other end from your truck and it should pop it right out. I have done this many times on tree stumps and stubborn fence posts.

Comment

Pressure washer??

Comment

Working...
                              X