Prostate question/opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prostate question/opinion

I had my physical at the first of the year. My doctor sent a letter to me saying my PSA was 26.8, moving up from a previous 5. Said he had me an appointment with a urologist as 26.5 would almost certainly be cancer. I went to the urologist and first thing he did was take blood and check PSA with his own people doing the test. It came back at 3.5. Got the big finger and he said prostate was both normal in size and shape. He said there was no reason to look further.

How could a test be that far off?

Man I hear that it happens sometimes. Maybe the test was not sterile or something. Maybe a 3rd opinion to double triple check everything?

Edit...

Comment

Mixed up labs. Get blood work done again for pease of mind.

Comment

If you are questioning it here it very obvious you are still very concerned and I would be also. I would seek another opinion just to check given such a large discrepancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          I had my physical at the first of the year. My doctor sent a letter to me saying my PSA was 26.8, moving up from a previous 5. Said he had me an appointment with a urologist as 26.5 would almost certainly be cancer. I went to the urologist and first thing he did was take blood and check PSA with his own people doing the test. It came back at 3.5. Got the big finger and he said prostate was both normal in size and shape. He said there was no reason to look further.

How could a test be that far off?
          Well....that is a good thing so why complain? It happens sometimes but be glad you checked.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Mixed up labs. Get blood work done again for pease of mind.
            My mother was in the hospital about seven years ago. The doctors thought she had a stroke but it turned out to be a type of seizure (not discovered until they brought another neurologist and several weeks later). In fact I had to cut a Javelina hunt in South Texas short to return home when they didn’t think she was going to make it.

They ran some test on her and when they came back with the results fortunately my sister-in-law was with her in the room. They ran an (I think) EEG to check her brain function. They started talking about the medicine she was on and how bad the EEG was and blah blah blah.

Like I said, fortunately my sister-in-law was in the room. She told the medical staff that my mother did not take those kinds of medicines and had not been diagnosed previously with what they were saying. They were adamant that they had the information that my mother had to go immediately for some treatment and whatever. My sister-in-law pretty much drew a line in the sand and said you’re not taking her anywhere. My mother was not fully conscious at the time.
            Apparently the staff was not too happy about my sister-in-law but they said they would check again.

Oops!!! Someone placed another woman’s chart with my mother’s. Yep, someone in the hospital mixed up their results.

I’m sure most of us have read about how many people die every year for medical mistakes. They were about to do some serious treatment on my mother for something that she did not have and when they found her actual EEG, it was completely different and almost normal. When the other neurologist was brought in, he correctly made the diagnosis and put her on anti-seizure medicine. She passed away three years later from kidney failure but had no other incidents due to seizures.

Thank goodness my sister-in-law was in the room but yes, they obviously can make mistakes; contaminate the specimens and so on.

Comment

How long was it between the PSA tests.. A few days? A couple weeks?

Comment

Your worth more if you have cancer.
                Imagine how many people wouldn't have had a 2nd test done, just took the doc at his word....

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  Your worth more if you have cancer.
                  Imagine how many people wouldn't have had a 2nd test done, just took the doc at his word....
                  Just Because I’m curious.
                  “Your worth more if you have cancer”
                  To whom? The urologist? How doe this benefit the initial doc or initial lab that did blood work? Any urologist would have completed a prostate exam and a colonoscopy for a diagnosis right?

“Imagine how many people wouldn't have had a 2nd test done, just took the doc at his word”
                  Most people I speak with get a second opinion on any serious diagnosis I cannot imagine someone not getting additional input on a cancer diagnosis.

He (OP) did not request the additional bloodwork the doctor did. I would say he does this for a reason. Do you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                    Just Because I’m curious.
                    “Your worth more if you have cancer”
                    To whom? The urologist? How doe this benefit the initial doc or initial lab that did blood work? Any urologist would have completed a prostate exam and a colonoscopy for a diagnosis right?

“Imagine how many people wouldn't have had a 2nd test done, just took the doc at his word”
                    Most people I speak with get a second opinion on any serious diagnosis I cannot imagine someone not getting additional input on a cancer diagnosis.

He (OP) did not request the additional bloodwork the doctor did. I would say he does this for a reason. Do you agree?
                    Yeah you're right, I read that wrong .
                    Just speaking to a personal case.
                    They told my grandmother in law 2 yrs ago she had breast cancer, which was the cause of her arm pain.
                    Treated her for almost a yr for breast cancer, before another doctor told her it was carpal tunnel.
                    And this lady already had a full mastectomy years ago because of breast cancer.
                    They did surgery on her left arm, and she still has pain, but nothing like it was while they were treating her for cancer.

Comment

Someone cab read.

That's essentially what happened to results my dad got while in the hospital. One day numbers are through the roof and they're prepping for surgery. Ran test the next day and numbers are normal.

I blow a gasket and basically told human error and not a big deal. Seriously?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get another blood test. If blood test and finger wave we're good you're most likely ok but another test would help confirm. If you don't do another blood test now definitely do it in 3-6 months.

Comment

Lab mistake more than likely by the person entering the information on the report. I would schedule another PSA for peace of mind.

Comment

Hell, my next to next to last PSA was >.6 as were the next two. You read it right, a negative point six and three in a row over a two week span. Nobody has explained that to me yet. That’s a reading you would get if you had had your prostate removed, which I’m pretty sure I haven’t. So I had a scan of my nether regions and it’s still there and the size it should be. Who knows ?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Yeah you're right, I read that wrong .
                              Just speaking to a personal case.
                              They told my grandmother in law 2 yrs ago she had breast cancer, which was the cause of her arm pain.
                              Treated her for almost a yr for breast cancer, before another doctor told her it was carpal tunnel.
                              And this lady already had a full mastectomy years ago because of breast cancer.
                              They did surgery on her left arm, and she still has pain, but nothing like it was while they were treating her for cancer.
                              Sounds like **** poor job on yalls part of not confirming thru tests/scans

Comment

Working...
                              X