Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

I just got selected for the general in the Balcones Canyonlands NWR. Any new insight someone could give me about what to expect. I know what kind of deer are there and that they are super skittish. I actually live right around the corner from the bird sanctuary. Thanks in advance.

Tagged. Drawn for 12/11 block. Holding out for today's draw for a little closer to home.

Comment

I got selected too, trying to figure out if I should attend this one as I have Laguna and Big Bottom lake all around the same time period. Good to have options!

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
        I got selected too, trying to figure out if I should attend this one as I have Laguna and Big Bottom lake all around the same time period. Good to have options!
        Wow you hit the trifecta. If you decide to go let me know. Like I said I pretty much live there and have a base of operations

Comment

I have been trying to get drawn for Laguna to chase Nilgai. If I had to chose between the two I would head south.

Comment

Pending 2nd draw, hopefully I get a chance to head back out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a thread from last year.

My son and I hunted in Unit 12 last year. No deer for him that hunt but we did see a 130 class buck chasing a doe but he never slowed down for a shot. My son shot a bit pig and the other hunter in our unit shot two does and a turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                Here is a thread from last year.

My son and I hunted in Unit 12 last year. No deer for him that hunt but we did see a 130 class buck chasing a doe but he never slowed down for a shot. My son shot a bit pig and the other hunter in our unit shot two does and a turkey.
                Are units assigned at check in? Or are they predrawn to allow for scouting?

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                  Are units assigned at check in? Or are they predrawn to allow for scouting?

Once you pay for your permit they should send you the unit, I believe. You have time to scout.

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                    Once you pay for your permit they should send you the unit, I believe. You have time to scout.

We were sent our unit a few weeks ahead of time last year and there were scouting days available. We never scouted but our unit (12) had two hunters and two blinds set up over food plots so there would not have been a ton of scouting to do.

Comment

I got drawn for this hunt too on the Dec 4-6 dates. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Honestly, I'd rank this one below BLB. I've never been to laguna but if I had to drop one it would be balcones. But I just don't know how to hunt that cover. It was primarily juniper and live oak. We saw bucks from the hill the first night and should have taken a shot (we were in Travis county which didn't have antler restrictions). My suggestion is to practice long shots as our opportunity was at 380 yards.

Beautiful country.

Comment

Where is a good place to stay? From my house it's about 1.5 hr drive. Not totally out of driving up everyday but just checking?
                          Last edited by .270; 09-17-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                            Where is a good place to stay? From my house it's about 1.5 hr drive. Not totally out of driving up everyday but just checking?
                            Last year after we got out unit number I booked an Airbnb that was only about 10 minutes from our unit. Nothing fancy but served its purpose and was inexpensive.

The NWR is pretty spread out so I would think you might want to wait until you get your assignment before booking a place.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                              Last year after we got out unit number I booked an Airbnb that was only about 10 minutes from our unit. Nothing fancy but served its purpose and was inexpensive.

The NWR is pretty spread out so I would think you might want to wait until you get your assignment before booking a place.
                              This. We drew the unit right next to the headquarters. We were going to stay at a campground but they were closed due to flooding. We ended up staying at a motel in Bertram. Cedar Creek inn. It was about 20 minutes from our unit. Decent place but not many restaurants nearby open early or late.

Comment

Working...
                              X