What kind of tree is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of tree is this?

It was originally a lemon tree, but the freeze got it and now it seems like it may be the host tree it was grafted too and not lemon. Anyone here know?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is likely what happened. New growth came out from the rootstock below the lemon graph. Rootstock is probably trifoliate orange.

Comment

^^^^^^^^

What McClain said!

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
        That is likely what happened. New growth came out from the rootstock below the lemon graph. Rootstock is probably trifoliate orange.
        So it will never bear fruit? I need to replace it if I want fruit?

Comment

No, will not bear lemons on those shoots. Might be possible to graph lemon onto those but probably best to pull that up and start over if no lemon growth remains.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
            No, will not bear lemons on those shoots. Might be possible to graph lemon onto those but probably best to pull that up and start over if no lemon growth remains.
            Thank you! I was afraid that was the case.

Comment

In the future when a freeze is expected and you can’t cover the entire tree, you might be able to protect the graft area at least by piling leaves, hay, etc. around the base to cover the graft. If the tree gets frozen back to just above the graft, then that may come back with new growth. Often what happens in that scenario is that growth will occur both above and below the graft. In that case you have to keep the below graft growth cut back. May take couple years but tree should produce fruit again.

Comment

Looks like what we call mock orange which I think is the same as trifoliate orange

Makes a fruit about the size of a golfball that is unedible

Comment

Working...
                X