Elk draw preference points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have finally decided I want to start putting in for preference draw points that I can possibly cash in in a few years. Should I do Colorado, NM, or somewhere else???

Any tips or advice would be huge as I have never been, but always wanted to go. It will probably be several years before I can make it happen, but I want to be ready when time comes. I need to buy gear, etc... but i can slowly do that. Bow hunt will be my choice as well.

Thx in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Can hunt this year otc Colorado if you want especially bow hunting.

NM is random draw no points so be ready to pull it at any time. But basically any of the western states that hold elk are good choices just a matter of how far you what to drive.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Can also hunt a handful of other states on general tags now season Wyoming and Utah I think? Been awhile since I have looked into it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Totally depends on what you are wanting. You looking to hunt any elk? See lots of elk? Kill big elk?

Lots of options for the first. Quite a few options for the second. Limited options for the last and they typically take many years to draw. Exception to that would be getting lucky in the NM draw or buying a landowner tag.

Comment

got lucky in NM this year but am mostly getting out of the preference point game. NM does not have preference points but you have to buy a license to enter draw.There are upsides and downsides to every state. CO is $109 for an Elk preference point now. Montana and Wyoming you can hunt pretty good units in just 1 or 2 years. Downside, tags themselves are very expensive. OTC are available in CO, ID and I think OR. You can increase your odds in NM by contracting with a guide but it is fairly tough draw for us DIY.

Comment

Like others have said, the PP game is getting pretty expensive and the point creep is making those great every 3-4 year tags disappear

I'd answer those questions in post 4 then prioritize how you go about applying

Comment

A quality hunt will take many years to draw....unless you luck into NM tag.

Comment

Wyoming has some great hunting on general tags and you can draw one in as few as 1-3 years. LQ areas take many more but we do have a random draw as well with a chance at tags with 0 PP.
                Hunting pressure in our general areas is much less than OTC in Colorado, for the most part.

Comment

Idaho and New Mexico don’t have pref points, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Montana, and Utah are where I’ve been getting points. I expect to have a tag in Montana every year to every other year. Wyoming every 2-4 years, Colorado every 5 for the unit I’ve decided to dive into, and Arizona/Utah are pipe dreams to think I’d draw a tag inside 10 years.

Point creep will almost certainly affect my plans in one way or another. I have similar plans for mule deer in most of the same states and long term plans for antelope.

I’d suggest looking into our The Elk Thread on here, go hunt.com, and elk 101. All are great sources of information and you can go down the rabbit hole as far as you want

Comment

I’m building points in MT, WY an CO for elk, deer and antelope

Comment

Have 10 in wyoming for elk and grandson has 10 will probably apply in year or two for best area for 10-12 points. Also have 16 for moose but will probably drop out,

Comment

If your just starting I suggest, Colorado and Wyoming..

NM has no PP system..

Colorado is losing more otc hunts now and you will eventually need PP to hunt it at all.. And Wyoming has a really good general hunt you can draw every 2-4 years

Comment

Originally posted by tractorred View Post
                          Have 10 in wyoming for elk and grandson has 10 will probably apply in year or two for best area for 10-12 points. Also have 16 for moose but will probably drop out,

You should burn those moose PP on a cow tag in 38. Actually you could do a nice LQ elk and your cow moose hunt in the same area.

sent you a pm tractorred

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            If your just starting I suggest, Colorado and Wyoming..

NM has no PP system..

Colorado is losing more otc hunts now and you will eventually need PP to hunt it at all.. And Wyoming has a really good general hunt you can draw every 2-4 years
                            I’ve been hearing that about Colorado.

I have mixed feelings about it. Being able to buy a OTC tag is awesome for general rifle but it sure does get crowded there.

Now with some former otc units being draw the remaining otc units will be jam packed

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                              I have finally decided I want to start putting in for preference draw points that I can possibly cash in in a few years. Should I do Colorado, NM, or somewhere else???

Any tips or advice would be huge as I have never been, but always wanted to go. It will probably be several years before I can make it happen, but I want to be ready when time comes. I need to buy gear, etc... but i can slowly do that. Bow hunt will be my choice as well.

Thx in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                              Might as well put in for Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. If money isn’t an issue Nevada as well. Once you do it you’ll probably want to do it every year and you’ll regret not buying points. I’d buy an over the counter tag in a unit in Idaho or Colorado and learn it the best you can while you wait to draw in the other states.

Comment

Working...
                              X