No announcement yet.

Educate me-Sonos home stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question about running wires for speakers....I have 3 - 10" speakers on each side of my back porch roof. (they aren't wired yet) I want to run wires myself to save money. Do they run in parallel or is it 1 wire (+ and -) per speaker?
    If parallel, how is that done?
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have no experience, but my friend built a huge house about 5 years ago and went with Sonos. He's still very happy with it and they use it throughout the house, inside and out, all the time. I remember him saying he liked the simplicity of it and the quality he got for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
        I have a question about running wires for speakers....I have 3 - 10" speakers on each side of my back porch roof. (they aren't wired yet) I want to run wires myself to save money. Do they run in parallel or is it 1 wire (+ and -) per speaker?
        If parallel, how is that done?
        Thanks in advance.

From the web:

If all the speakers in parallel have the same impedance, then the calculation is easy. Simply divide the impedance by the number of speakers in parallel. Example 1: Four 8 ohm speakers in parallel: 8 divided by 4 = 2 ohms. Example 2: Two 4 ohms speakers in parallel: 4 divided by 2 = 2 ohms.

If your speakers are 8 ohms, your amp will ‘see’ 8/3 or 2.7 ohms per channel. Many amps can’t drive that low a load.

3, 10” speakers per side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s where the stereo will be. Glad each has masking tape with the location

Comment

Speakers

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            From the web:

If all the speakers in parallel have the same impedance, then the calculation is easy. Simply divide the impedance by the number of speakers in parallel. Example 1: Four 8 ohm speakers in parallel: 8 divided by 4 = 2 ohms. Example 2: Two 4 ohms speakers in parallel: 4 divided by 2 = 2 ohms.

If your speakers are 8 ohms, your amp will ‘see’ 8/3 or 2.7 ohms per channel. Many amps can’t drive that low a load.

3, 10” speakers per side?

I stand corrected...they are 8 inch, 2 way in ceiling speakers.
            Box says 250 watt max, 4-8 ohm impedance.
            Yes, vaulted ceiling, 3 speakers per side.

Comment

The question is how low an impedance can your amplifier drive.

Comment

I have not purchased the amp yet. And I have 4 speakers in the living room that are the same kind. I was wanting to run them all thru the same source.

Comment

I am not sure the best solution or amp, sorry.

Comment

We just put a sonos sound bar in a new build and it sounded really good to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m doing a system for my house under construction and it’s going to really good for most of us. It’s like going with Swaro Z3 vs Tangent Theta lol.

I’m doing 5 of these for my living room with a 82 inch TV, 4 for the outside with 2 70 inch TV’s, 4 in ceiling for my mount room plus 3 wall speakers and 3 10 inch in wall subs. I added two tower speakers for my mount room and I’m having my builder line my walls with plywood so I don’t have to search for studs.

Comment

Impressive sound system! How will you power the speakers?

Comment

I connected today with a guy who does audio visual systems in Big Sky Yellowstone Club. $20+ million dollar 2nd and 3d homes for folks.

Unless he’s asked otherwise, he installs Sonos and Sonance speakers. He’s doing a home with 14 zones/ separate amps. He’ll try to get permission for me to see and hear.

He said 2 speakers in living room ceiling will be fine. Use my Velodyne subwoofer. Integrate into tv with Sonos soundbar. He can’t sell for less than list price, suggested I but direct or at Costco. Nice guy.

In return I told him where he could photograph a herd of 400-500 elk in Bozeman and where I see bald eagles.

Comment

Have Sonos in every room in our house. The only way to go IMO if you have the coin. Great sound and easily controlled and linked through the app

Comment

Here’s where the stereo will be. Glad each has masking tape with the location

I ran a subwoofer rca plug wire to the other side of the fireplace, and cleaned up the wiring in advance of the sheet-rockers.

The electrician had a great idea- he put in a flexible tube so if I want to run more than an hdmi to the tv, snsking in the wall will be easy.

Comment

Educate me-Sonos home stereo

Impressive sound system! How will you power the speakers?

I’ve got everything wired and all running to an AV closet in my upstairs man cave. HDMI, RG6 CAT6 and will have two receivers one for downstairs and outside and one for man cave room.

I’d love to have a McIntosh for upstairs and something more basic for downstairs.

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-09-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X