Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nosler Brass issues

Working up a load for my 243.

Out of 100 pieces of brass, (New) 15 on the second loading, had a loose primer pocket. Enough that if the case was tapped on a table, the primer fell out. A few others, when hand priming, very little resistance was felt, but did not fall out like the others.

Anyone have any issues? Any idea if Nosler would be of any help?

They were not hot loads.

I’ve had Nosler brass do that before, I try my best to stick to Lapua but it’s hard to come by now. If reach out to them and see if they replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
      I’ve had Nosler brass do that before, I try my best to stick to Lapua but it’s hard to come by now. If reach out to them and see if they replace them.

Comment

As the saying goes, but once, cry once.

Slowly acquired the brass as I couldn’t drop $200 on 200 pieces of brass. Did some trading and, or bought much cheaper than new on here. Will just have to work a little more OT.

Comment

It ain’t about the cost. Nosler is usually higher than lapua. It’s usually very good brass too. I like lapua. But they don’t make it in several calibers that Nosler does. Or Norma. I mainly use Norma.

Let us know what Nosler says. While it is softer than lapua, it’s far from junk. It’s really good brass usually.

Comment

Nosler is very consistent in my experience but it is also very soft

Comment

Nosler Brass issues

My experience with Nosler is the same, soft brass and weak case heads/primer pockets. Pressure signs usually appear much sooner with Nosler brass.

Lapua, Peterson and ADG have shown to be very strong and still consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Mike D; 10-06-2021, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Yup! Threw away all the Nosler and Lapua .308 brass for the same problem. In addition the case necks were so out of round I had to turn most of them down .004 or more. Could only get 2-3 loadings from the Lapua and only one from the Nosler and poor accuracy. Hornady and Winchester do fairly well once the necks have been turned. RP & Federal not so good either.
                I have some JAG brass that came in some factory Hornady Match loads that is very good. Been loaded 6 times and still good.
                Best brass I have found so far has been Alpha Munitions but it's expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  Yup! Threw away all the Nosler and Lapua .308 brass for the same problem. In addition the case necks were so out of round I had to turn most of them down .004 or more. Could only get 2-3 loadings from the Lapua and only one from the Nosler and poor accuracy. Hornady and Winchester do fairly well once the necks have been turned. RP & Federal not so good either.
                  I have some JAG brass that came in some factory Hornady Match loads that is very good. Been loaded 6 times and still good.
                  Best brass I have found so far has been Alpha Munitions but it's expensive.

You only got two loadings out of Lapua brass?? Something ain’t right there.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    It ain’t about the cost. Nosler is usually higher than lapua. It’s usually very good brass too. I like lapua. But they don’t make it in several calibers that Nosler does. Or Norma. I mainly use Norma.

Let us know what Nosler says. While it is softer than lapua, it’s far from junk. It’s really good brass usually.
                    Is there any truth to Nosler being made by Norma? I’ve read that several places.

First time I hear of Lapua brass being soft or not lasting. What do you use if not Lapua?

My buddy that reloads for me told me from the start to just save a little more and get a couple lots of Lapua brass. He said it’d last me long enough to burn through my components.

Regret not listening to him.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      Is there any truth to Nosler being made by Norma? I’ve read that several places.

First time I hear of Lapua brass being soft or not lasting. What do you use if not Lapua?

My buddy that reloads for me told me from the start to just save a little more and get a couple lots of Lapua brass. He said it’d last me long enough to burn through my components.

Regret not listening to him.
                      I never said lapua is soft. I said Nosler is softer than lapua. But still usually really good brass.

I have heard the same rumors. Also, I believe Norma has made brass for lapua as well if I recall. 300 win mag I think it was.

I think you have a different issue. I’ve never heard of Nosler brass being that soft. Real curious to see what you find. And I dang sure ain’t the one to find it haha.

I run Norma brass HARD. And the above post is the first time I’ve heard a complaint about lapua. And have actually heard several complaints about alpha brass so take that for what it’s worth. I wouldn’t hesitate to run Nosler, Norma or lapua for anything I load. And have run/still do all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        I never said lapua is soft. I said Nosler is softer than lapua. But still usually really good brass.

I have heard the same rumors. Also, I believe Norma has made brass for lapua as well if I recall. 300 win mag I think it was.

I think you have a different issue. I’ve never heard of Nosler brass being that soft. Real curious to see what you find. And I dang sure ain’t the one to find it haha.

I run Norma brass HARD. And the above post is the first time I’ve heard a complaint about lapua. And have actually heard several complaints about alpha brass so take that for what it’s worth. I wouldn’t hesitate to run Nosler, Norma or lapua for anything I load. And have run/still do all 3.
                        Sorry Sir, I wasn’t referring to your comment, but to the one posted by Muzzlebrake. (I don’t know how to quite multiple comments)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          My experience with Nosler is the same, soft brass and weak case heads/primer pockets. Pressure signs usually appear much sooner with Nosler brass.
                          +1

I will never purchase anymore.

Comment

I have a 311 neck on my 280AI & the nosler comes formed & loaded rounds all measure 310 on several different lots...it's not a high volume gun so I'm happy with the 3-4 rounds I'm getting vs turning & FF.

Comment

Well to be fair the Lapua 308 brass I had was at least 20 years old. Found I had almost a full box of it unfired a while back. Maybe it just sat for so many years it got rotten. All I know is it won't hold primers past 3 loadings at full power running 4064 and 175 SMK with GMM primers. Can't remember why I pushed it aside way back then. Maybe shooting it in one of my junky old Savage rifles caused it to fail early.

Comment

Working...
                              X