Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close to a deer feeder can you dove hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How close to a deer feeder can you dove hunt?

How far away from a deer feeder do you need to be hunting doves and be legal?
    I hunt a pond that has feeder set up in the same draw. I got to thinking about when we filled it up.

Originally posted by Killer View Post

I hunt a pond that has feeder set up in the same draw. I got to thinking about when we filled it up.
    If memory serves, you can't. Have to remove all bait and a GW has to inspect.

Comment

If the corn there is manipulating the flight patterns of the dove....ie they are eating from it, you could get stroked a hunting award. Its all up to the discretion of the individual Game Warden. Frankly I avoid hunting near feeders. Hell he could do it because you are near bait as well.

Comment

What is considered near? We have several feeders set up on the lease at different places. Do I need to be 100 ft away ,1000 yards or 1/2 mile? I probably could not hunt anywhere on the lease and stay farther than 1000yards.

Comment

What is considered near? We have several feeders set up on the lease at different places. Do I need to be 100 ft away ,1000 yards or 1/2 mile? I probably could not hunt anywhere on the lease and stay farther than 1000yards.

That is up to the discretion of the GW and whether or not he thinks its manipulating your doves. Ive heard of some hardasses and some lax GWs

Comment

So does nobody dove hunt on your lease if your feeding corn in fear of getting a ticket

Comment

If you use common sense, you'll probably be good to go.
              If there's any question in your mind, then don't do it. Simple as that.

Comment

So does nobody dove hunt on your lease if your feeding corn in fear of getting a ticket

Not on mine....I have dove leases...My landowners' kids hunt a water cistern/trough occasionally near camp. Probably 800 yards from the nearest feeder with no issues. Just use common sense. If you can see it or it's down the way just a bit, hunt at your own risk.
                Last edited by Smart; 09-28-2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, rules do not say a distance. Just says you can't bait. Game Warden discretion which can vary widely.

Comment

No, because I know feeders have no impact on our lease...all our shooting is on tanks coming into water & not feeding locations. Like Smart said, a rogue GW could reach & try to say feeders have an impact, but it wouldn't stick.

It's all discretion to be determined by the GW so use common sense...if you think you are literally killing birds because of feeder locations, then so will the GW.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      a rogue GW could reach & try to say feeders have an impact, but it wouldn't stick.
                      The judge sides with a law officer 99.99% of the time. The odds of sticking are great

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

My opinion, I feel safe if I can’t see a feeder, typically several hundred yards.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                          If you use common sense, you'll probably be good to go.
                          If there's any question in your mind, then don't do it. Simple as that.
                          X2

Mike’s advice works for deer feeders and dove hunting, and really about everything else in life too.

Comment

I've worried abt this a little of late. I have over 100 acres of sunflowers plated on my place and a feed stations is set up on the treeline on the NE side of the sunflowers. How close is too close. Obviously I'm hunting the sunflowers and not the feed station but who knows what some hard-core GW might say if one of my dove have a few pieces of corn in thier craw.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Like others said its a pretty vague rule with alot left up to discretion. I think most of the GWs would use common sense and if you aren't shooting them over bait or setup in line of site of a feeder you will probably be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X