Elk hunting must haves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk hunting must haves.

Going elk hunting for the first time this September, and just wondering what some of your must haves are. Just trying to get an idea of what I really need to take. We are going with an outfitter and packing in for 5 days. Staying at a drop camp on the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broken in boots, chapstick, merino wool base layer, good pack, and a "If it doesn't suck we don't do it" attitude! It takes only seconds to go from awful to a great hunt!

Comment

Tagged!

Comment

A strong set of legs and lungs...get into great shape, you will enjoy the trip a lot more!!! Thats just my two cents

Comment

Elk hunting must haves.

Ive been a couple of times. Carrying your bow all day gets old. And if your on horseback it can be tricky too.

Maybe one of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I"ve not gone so take this for what its worth.

I've poured hours into reading and the key items to not skimp on are:

1. solid glass
            2. backpack
            3. boots

Comment

Originally posted by Big John View Post
              A strong set of legs and lungs...get into great shape, you will enjoy the trip a lot more!!! Thats just my two cents
              Get in good shape !
              Lots of walking, be prepared to the best of your ability
              As other post said good footwear, clothes for the climate, binos, rangefinder and a small pack to carry a few essentials while being mobile.
              Getting in good physical shape will prob be one of the most important thing to make you have a great enjoyable hunt

Comment

A bigger knife than your used to.

Comment

Less stuff than you think you need. Scoutman mentioned chapstick...make sure you bring some.

Comment

Always have a spare release. Wind checker, duster whatever you want to call it, scent control is paramount. You can fool their eyes but not their nose. Shoot in a spare string and have a spare string with you. Backpack with a camelback as you must stay hydrated. Range finder. Life Straw in your pack. Two knives, knive sharpener, My back pack always has emergency survival gear as accidents can happen quickly. Walking in and around the forrest with downed trees everywhere you need to always be cautious. I carry some eye drops to keep my eyes lubricated due to the low humidity. Headlight for walking out back to camp after dark with extra batteries. Start wearing your pack to develope a knowledge of where everything is. Always always either clip your release to your string or in a pocket. I take my backpack with me on every hunt in texas too. I know exactly where everything is even in the pitch black darkness. Good luck and get in your lungs and legs in serious shape.

Comment

Chapstick, baby wipes, extra pair of socks.

Comment

good boots a good pack and a GPS, most importantly good legs and lungs

Comment

For a wind checker tie a piece of thread on site it will pick up wind direction. I carry folding saw for limbs or bones. Compass is handy. Try not to over pack. Trick is go in light come out heavy.

Comment

U should find good info a lot of guys on here pack a 60 pound bag just to go set in deer stand on 100 acres!!

Comment

If you don't have a gps I suggest Onxmaps app for your phone. Download the maps are of where your going before you leave. Then even when you don't have cell service your phone works as a gps with satellite view and topo over lay. It's well worth the money. The other thing I wouldn't go without is a cow call and learn how to use it. It made all the difference in my hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X