The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caprock View Post
    I would have thought the Merino wool would have held up well? I always liked the wool because you can wear it so long without washing and it doesn't stink. Do you have to take more of the Kuiu to keep it from stinking?
    First Lite changed the fit in 2013...prior to that a bunch of guys did not like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Caprock View Post
      I would have thought the Merino wool would have held up well? I always liked the wool because you can wear it so long without washing and it doesn't stink. Do you have to take more of the Kuiu to keep it from stinking?
      I usually roll with one shirt. With that said I usually pack a 180 and and a 230. Some trips I wear the 180 all week, then some trips the 230.

Just depends on weather.

90% of my trips I just wear 180 all week, because it was hot in mid sept.

Last year I hunted last week of sept, and it was cold several morning below freezing and I worn 230 all week

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
        I hear ya'll talking about your clothes but, what about us tall fella's? I had to call Sitka to find out if they carried anything longer than 34" inseam, they don't. Anyone have a 36"+ inseam that can req a good outerwear?
        Sitka Tall is longer than you think the 34" would be. I wear 36" inseam jeans and the Sitka Tall fits me good.

Kuiu Attack pants are made to have the HEM taken out or in. My Attack pants are about and inch too short but I guess I am too lazy to get someone to take them out a little. I think they have 2" of lay but not positive.

Core 4 Element Tall have the most inseam. I have the Switchback pants in Tall and they are plenty long on me.

Comment

OK merino wool guys. I plan on spending some money in the near future on some first lite wool. I plan on buying a light weight allegheny bottom for the first layer and the heavier exp layer for the next layer then my regular hunting pants. I am going to do the same for the top. Llano crew for the first layer then the Chama EXP then my regular hunting jacket. Will that cover me for most conditions in Sept. I know the weather can change on a dime. I want to have plenty but I dont want to carry one thing more in my backpack than I have too. I do have some good rain gear for another layer if needed. Am i good to go ?????

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
            OK merino wool guys. I plan on spending some money in the near future on some first lite wool. I plan on buying a light weight allegheny bottom for the first layer and the heavier exp layer for the next layer then my regular hunting pants. I am going to do the same for the top. Llano crew for the first layer then the Chama EXP then my regular hunting jacket. Will that cover me for most conditions in Sept. I know the weather can change on a dime. I want to have plenty but I dont want to carry one thing more in my backpack than I have too. I do have some good rain gear for another layer if needed. Am i good to go ?????
            Sounds like overkill to me for Sept but if you are Basecamping it'll definitely keep you comfortable...If you are packing in it's way overkill IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post

Where and what are you hunting? And how, will make answering your question a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                Where and what are you hunting? And how, will make answering your question a lot easier.
                Colorado elk. Late September

Comment

That's a little over kill IMO. You got to remember CO cold is different the TX, humidity is different.
                  But elevation needs to be considered also. 2 layers max

Personally I'm not a fan of base layer bottoms, your archery hunting, always moving.

I'd go with lightweight top, with a vest and then a softshell or mid weight top for cooler mornings.

Vest is a must IMO.

A great piece to add that's easy and highly packable is down or synthetic puffer.

Rain gear is a hard one thats more of a budget vs needs thing.
                  Last edited by Texans42; 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    That's a little over kill IMO. You got to remember CO cold is different the TX, humidity is different.
                    But elevation needs to be considered also. 2 layers max

Personally I'm not a fan of base layer bottoms, your archery hunting, always moving.

I'd go with lightweight top, with a vest and then a softshell or mid weight top for cooler mornings.

Vest is a must IMO.

A great piece to add that's easy and highly packable is down or synthetic puffer.

Rain gear is a hard one thats more of a budget vs needs thing.
                    Good list here Texans42. I only use Bottoms to sleep in.

Rain Gear is like 4 wheel drive...When you need it you really need it.

Comment

My personal clothing for a high country mule deer hunt is as follows:

Merino t for pack in and out
                      Core zip-t
                      Core bottoms
                      Ascent pants
                      Gaiters
                      Puffy
                      Rain gear

I wear the core bottoms to sleep along with the merino t, if it gets cold, and I'm only going to pack them if I am hunting in CO. Mid-August hunts in UT and NV they really aren't needed. If you're packing everything on your back you need to really be conscious of how much you pack and make a list during your hunt if everything you don't use so you can take it outta your pack on your next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                        Good list here Texans42. I only use Bottoms to sleep in.

Rain Gear is like 4 wheel drive...When you need it you really need it.
                        Yelp, rain gear is exactly like 4x4. Question is what axles do you need?

The best after market or stock.

thankfully the Gore tex empire is fastly falling allowing great new affordable waterproof fabrics to enter the market place.

Comment

Well, check out the video of the new KUIU pack, Ultra 6000. It is the second story on the blog, as for the price...is that for frame and bag, or just the bag? If so, I will more than likely try one on this Sept.

Comment

If I upgrade packs this year, think I'm going with exo mountian gear. As much as I cuss all my elberstock packs' shoulder straps, they have never let me down. I'm just not sold yet on carbon frames.

I year like the remedy anwser but it was really heavy when trying it on for its capacity
                            Last edited by Texans42; 02-15-2014, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                              My honey hole is here in Colorado, OTC.

I found it scouting for mule deer in late July, and early August.
                              Located a ton of elk that were above timberline and easy to see at that time of year, then when season rolled around I accessed from below and started hunting up the drainage system until I found the elk. I knew they were in there, just a matter of determining which side drainages they liked compared to the on big main canyon.

One thing I've found over the years is that elk tend to like having a big main canyon with a bunch of finger ridges that lead down into it. The big main canyon should not have any roads, and the fingers leading down into it need to have good cover and access to good south facing slopes for feeding. They should also have several layers of benches instead of just steep faces.

A must have is water, without water....look elsewhere.
                              Thank You A3D. Do you have some system for getting where other hunters don't go? Like in a Wilderness area not as deep as the outfitters but deeper than the day traffic for example?

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                                I can tell ya where not to go. I had a bad CO OTC experience and it kinda gave me a bad taste for CO OTC. It must have been a weird year because we were hunting with locals and it was still horrible.

Just my opinion but I will avoid CO OTC at all cost if I can. I'm not saying I will never do it again but it will be with a lot more information beforehand. I did however, see some awesome country. It was just tough.

No regrets. I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to elk hunting here in NM.
                                I have a dream that someday I will draw a New Mexico tag. Might buy a landowner voucher. I would like to get an area that I like so I don't have to do that every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X