No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unclefish...I heard deer was not updated to check like this but I just checked mine and it shows my accurate post draw points.

So if you had 0 points going into the draw and it shows 1 now the theory is you did not draw your 1st choice.

I only got points this year and this method is accurate for all 3 species I applied for.

Comment

I hope it's wrong. Our unit has a 70% chance of drawing with no points and none of us out of 4 people drew. And we all applied separately.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        I hope it's wrong. Our unit has a 70% chance of drawing with no points and none of us out of 4 people drew. And we all applied separately.
        I wouldn't panic yet....that backdoor is jacked up this year.

Comment

Here is another method to look if you drew in CO. I know Elk is updated...not sure about other species.

At the bottom you'll see the products you have on file. If you see a 500 series without "app" on the end. You drew a tag.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
            Here is another method to look if you drew in CO. I know Elk is updated...not sure about other species.

At the bottom you'll see the products you have on file. If you see a 500 series without "app" on the end. You drew a tag.
            So is 588 first choice?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
              So is 588 first choice?
              I don't know what the specific numbers mean. From that method you can only tell that you drew "a" tag not your first choice.

Try the other method and you will see how many points you have. If it's 0 and you had more than 0 going in then it's 1st choice.

Comment

The New Mexico 2014 Draw Odds are posted

My units were just about what I expected.

Comment

Spent 12 hours driving from Denver with the single reed mini sonic dome, I am now able to chirp and mew on it, and only gag half of the time. Progress.

Decided on a wilderness unit I've hunted before in CO. As for dates, I'm thinking of the last week of Sept, to get a new moon and not fight the ML crowd. But my unit is narrow and I'm afraid the ML crowd may push them to private. What does the elk crew here think? Second or fourth week for wilderness OTC CO?

Comment

I agree with the last week period. Go too early and your calling skills might fall on deaf ears. JMO.

Comment

If I wind up going, it'll be the last two weeks of the season, one of those weeks will be ML season, but that's a small price to pay.

Comment

Some elk in the Arkansas river valley, then the view from Cottonwood pass today.

As far as what time to hunt, the second week I've had better luck getting single bulls to come in. They may come in silent, or may be bugling their head off.

The last week I've found most bigger bulls herded up, and not willing to leave the herd. I've found it harder to close in on bulls with a herd with that many eyes watching.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what the specific numbers mean. From that method you can only tell that you drew "a" tag not your first choice.

Try the other method and you will see how many points you have. If it's 0 and you had more than 0 going in then it's 1st choice.
                          I searched the internet on that code and in 2011, 588 meant that a non-res antlerless tag was drawn. Woo hoo! Don't know if it was first choice but I'm good with it!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                            Spent 12 hours driving from Denver with the single reed mini sonic dome, I am now able to chirp and mew on it, and only gag half of the time. Progress.

Decided on a wilderness unit I've hunted before in CO. As for dates, I'm thinking of the last week of Sept, to get a new moon and not fight the ML crowd. But my unit is narrow and I'm afraid the ML crowd may push them to private. What does the elk crew here think? Second or fourth week for wilderness OTC CO?
                            Tough choice...I tend to agree with a3d about the bulls getting locked down with the herd he later it gets. I think 9/11-9/20 is about the best time which is unfortunately right in line with the ML guys this year. If you know the area really well and have a good idea where the Elk will be I'd consider going early. If you think you'll have a hard time finding Elk or don't have much time go later. They'll be talking at least enough you can locate them.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                              What if the CO website says "no results in the specified years"? They took my money out of my bank when I registered online. I know it was a good draw entry.
                              ^^same thing happened to me. It's my first time putting in, but I know it was a good entry. Can anyone explain this? Also, how do I get this back door method to work??

Comment

Tough choice...I tend to agree with a3d about the bulls getting locked down with the herd he later it gets. I think 9/11-9/20 is about the best time which is unfortunately right in line with the ML guys this year. If you know the area really well and have a good idea where the Elk will be I'd consider going early. If you think you'll have a hard time finding Elk or don't have much time go later. They'll be talking at least enough you can locate them.
                                It has been proven that the peak of the rut takes place around September 22nd each year, give or take a day. The time leading up to it is the best time to call in a bull.
                                The activity that is seen may vary in intensity based on other variables.

What works one year in one place may be a week off the next year when looking for the best hunting.......never can tell.

I will be taking the second week off work to go hunting this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X