My Youngest boys first deer!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrote a thread earlier last week titled, "It's my morning this morning", in which I documented my first few hunts of the season, see below.

Well, it seems the good lord didn't want me to be the trigger puller that weekend and instead, wanted my youngest boy to be it so without further ado, see the story below!

Bowen's First Deer:

On the morning of October 10th, my youngest son and I made our way to the deer lease. It was a warm and quiet morning with little to no wind. We walked the 500 yards to the deer blind and got set up. This involved setting up 2 tripods, one for his crossbow and one for the camera.
    The calm of the morning made it very difficult for my 7 year old to be quiet and still and as daylight approached, there was nothing at our feeder and I feared that we had been too loud getting into the blind so, he and I started a riveting game of tic tac toe.
    About 30 minutes into the middle of our intense tic tac toe competition, I look up to see a does head bobbing and weaving her way through the thick dove weed on a beeline to the feeder. We quickly put the game away and got ready.
    When she finally came into a clear line of sight, we studied her to make sure she was older and that she didn't have any fawns with her. After we decided that she checked all the boxes, I gave my son the green light to "take her" and he immediately, but slowly, got behind his crossbow and lined up the shot. It was only when he was ready to shoot that I forgot two things. One, I didn't have my window open to film and two, the safety on the crossbow was still engaged.
    Once we got my window open and the safety disengaged, I reminded him to pick a spot on the doe, to look at his crosshairs and hold on the spot, and to slowly squeeze the trigger at the base of your breath. The hours of practice and multiple mosquito bites paid off and the shot surprised both of us, and we watched the doe take off. We heard her crash not 30 yards away and both of us quickly realized something special just happened!
    Once we waited for what seemed like an eternity, about 30 minutes, we picked up the trail. My son was able to track and find her all on his own and the smile on his face was all I needed to see. We got down on our knees and thanked the good Lord for providing us with a doe and then it was picture time! I told my son that he has provided for the family and that he is now a proven hunter! The doe will be made into dried sausage at Tuttles in Woodsboro.

These are memories that will last a lifetime and we will cherish them forever. Thank you for reading along.

Pictures to follow!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job young man.

Dad where is the blood face. Right of passage you know.

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

Well done!!
          Big congrats on his first deer!!!

Comment

Nice congrats!

Comment

Waydago! little man

Comment

That’s awesome…congratulations!

Comment

Heck yeah. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats to both of you! I remember that like it was this evening with my daughter. Good times!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                      Great job young man.

Dad where is the blood face. Right of passage you know.

After we put her in the truck and we’re at the intersection for the main road, I realized in the excitement that I forgot blood face so we got out of the truck and got it done!!

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                        After we put her in the truck and we’re at the intersection for the main road, I realized in the excitement that I forgot blood face so we got out of the truck and got it done!!

LOL….I can understand that.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

That’s awesome!!!! Congrats to y’all!

So……..I have to ask; what was that laser pointer thingy in the video bouncing all over the deers paunch before the shot???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Bisch; 10-19-2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Great job young man!!! And Dad too!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X