Repairing Hub Rods in Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing Hub Rods in Blind?

Got a Double Bull Matrix that has a couple broken rods. The last time I replaced some, I had a hard time getting some ordered from Primos.
    Is there something else I can get at Lowe’s or some other store that will work?
    I kinda want to change out all the original rods, since those are the ones that keep breaking. I’ve already changed out probably half of them already.

I have used electric fence rods from tractor supply.

Comment

Let me know if you find something, I’ve got two with broken rods with zero luck from Primos

Comment

Originally posted by mossman500 View Post
        Let me know if you find something, I’ve got two with broken rods with zero luck from Primos
        Yeah, Primos isn’t fun to deal with.
        I saw a thread here years ago about this same issue and I thought I read where a guy used some kind of rods he bought at Lowe’s.
        Seems like every time I use this blind, I end up breaking a rod and it’s always right at the hub.

Comment

I found a Primos double bull and it has a broken rod. I took a 6” section of skinny yet stout hollowed out bamboo and made a sleeve. Its not the best repair since the rod broke near the knuckle but it works. Itd work better if I glued it. A super skinny piece of metal conduit would prolly work too. I just have bamboo growing around and a little boy who likes making spears. Maybe a fiberglass kit from a bigbox store would work too.

I just had the idea of taking small sections of copper tubing with a slit down the side and making a crimp sleeve.

Good luck MrSquiggy.
          Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-12-2021, 08:23 AM. Reason: CrimpTubeIdeaSpake

Comment

This is what I used. The diameter is a little smaller, but some JB weld and good to go.
            Also in the very bottom of my blind bag there are extra ends sewn into the bottom of the bag.

Shop Hillman 48-in Orange Reflective Rod in the Reflectors department at Lowe's.com. Bring awareness to driveways, curbs, and property lines with this durable driveway marker. Made of weather-resistant material, this marker is flexible and will

Comment

How about using an old fishing pole?

Comment

How long are your rods? I might have some.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                  I have used electric fence rods from tractor supply.
                  Gonna check these out. Thanks!!!

Comment

Ive got at least 8 for a primos double blind. If they will work for you, just pay the shipping and Ill get how ever many you need to you.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                      Ive got at least 8 for a primos double blind. If they will work for you, just pay the shipping and Ill get how ever many you need to you.
                      Great!!! When I get back home, I’ll measure the rods and see if yours will work.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                        Aesome gesture.

OP,

I made a hunt to Sam Houston a couple years ago. Got to the hotel room and as I was checking out my blind I discovered my poles for the roof weren't with me.

Drove to Academy and got tent pole replacements.

Like these - https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Fibe...99019161&psc=1

Note, I did have to buy a fine tooth hand saw to cut to length, but it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          Great!!! When I get back home, I’ll measure the rods and see if yours will work.
                          Sounds good. And if I remember correctly they were longer than they needed to be and I was told that I am supposed to cut them to length. And that’s what I did. When I get a chance I’ll measure them and see how long they are.
                          Last edited by RutnBuk; 10-12-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

If broken somewhere other than the connection ends you could try.
                            Buying a pvc pipe smaller than the rod. Heat the hell out of it then slide rod into it. When it cools it could become permanent

Comment

I have repaired a bunch of those double bull carbon fiber rods by sliding a section of aluminum arrow shaft over the rod, then smear a little epoxy on both pieces of the broken rod just to keep the arrow shaft from sliding up or down once centered over the break. Simple, easy and they work like a champ.

Comment

Working...
                              X