No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty buck, thanks for sharing. I will be planting 10/9 myself. We didn't get as much rain as you did up in Mills County.

Comment

Great looking 5 year old. Hope he breeds everything in sight for you.
      Without knowing what the future weather forecast has in store, I planted my mix last Sunday in anticipation of this rain.

Comment

Just picked up my seed, here is what we are planting this year:
        40% TAM114 wheat
        40% TAMO411 oats
        5% silver river clover
        4% crimson clover
        3% hairy vetch
        3% chicory
        3%radishes
        2% yellow sweet clover

Hoping we can plant just before another rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
          Pretty buck, thanks for sharing. I will be planting 10/9 myself. We didn't get as much rain as you did up in Mills County.

That’s about the same time of year that we like to plant as well.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
            Great looking 5 year old. Hope he breeds everything in sight for you.
            Without knowing what the future weather forecast has in store, I planted my mix last Sunday in anticipation of this rain.

That was great timing. I wish we would have had the seed in/on the ground just before this 2.5in rainfall. Your plots should start off strong!

Comment

We broadcasted our wheat and oats out yesterday and my dad disked and dragged over everything lightly. Both fields (4.5 acres & 2.5 acres) have been planted with good chances of rain tonight through Thursday. We were going to broadcast radish, clovers, chicory, and hairy vetch but we found that these seeds are so different in size that we would have to broadcast them individually to broadcast them evenly. Anyone ever try to broadcast different sized seeds and broadcast them evenly?

Comment

Here is our south field (2.5 acres) where we broadcasted the wheat and oats, lightly disked over top, and then used the cultipacker over everything. I don’t like disking but we still haven’t found a no-till implement in our price range so we did what we had to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

Here is our south field (2.5 acres) where we broadcasted the wheat and oats, lightly disked over top, and then used the cultipacker over everything. I don’t like disking but we still haven’t found a no-till implement in our price range so we did what we had to do.

I think if you are just scraping the top of the dirt to get good seed to soil contact, it's okay. It's the major discing down several inches is where the harm to the soil is at.
                  I wouldn't disc over after seeding if you have a good cultipacker, which looks like you do.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

We broadcasted our wheat and oats out yesterday and my dad disked and dragged over everything lightly. Both fields (4.5 acres & 2.5 acres) have been planted with good chances of rain tonight through Thursday. We were going to broadcast radish, clovers, chicory, and hairy vetch but we found that these seeds are so different in size that we would have to broadcast them individually to broadcast them evenly. Anyone ever try to broadcast different sized seeds and broadcast them evenly?

Typically when I do brassicas, it will be in a concentrated area and not evenly throughout the food plot. So, I will sling that seed seperately from my mix.

Comment

The plots aren’t pretty but the oats and wheat are growing. There are a lot more sprouts that are just barely peeking through the soil that can’t be seen in the picture. Our soil moisture is staying around 19% thanks to the cool mornings and the 1in of rain last week. Let’s hope we get some more rain over the next 10 days. Can’t wait to see what they look like around mid November!

Comment

I have glanced at this, but now I am all in. Thanks for all the updates and looking forward to following along.

Comment

Ready for Buck Pic update.

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
                            Ready for Buck Pic update.
                            I will try to post pics tomorrow of the culls we are shooting this year. We aren’t shooting any trophies this year. Just trying to reduce the number deer overall.

Comment

I planted our turner seed in two small fenced plots about the same time in brown co. Sprayed and broadcast a few days later. Followed by shredding and culti-packer.
                              We got some rain and things are sprouting, but it has gotten dry again.

Anxious to see your “culls.” And some of the trophies that get a pass.
                              Thanks for the update.
                              Enjoy the fall !

Comment

Pictures

Here are some pictures of the bucks we are going after this year. Again, our main goal is removing the total number of deer so we are trying to remove 7 bucks this fall along with 10 doe based on our deer survey. A lot of these "SHOOTERS/CULLS/MANAGEMENT BUCKS" are bucks we have history with for at least 2 to 3 years and where they haven't done much at all in terms of antler growth. The goal for this year is removing more mouths and let the bigger bucks get bigger.

Shooters:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	8pt CULL (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	24665910

Name:	8pt CULL (2).png
Views:	1
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	24665911