Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TBH PSA: Get your dang colonscopies done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found out one of my closet friends has stage 4 colon cancer, didn’t get checked until he started having symptoms and hat something wasn’t right. He has a long hard uphill fight ahead of him. I’m 51 and haven’t gotten one yet, have an appointment next week to get a physical and set one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
      My Mom has one coming up. Said for the prep they asked if she wanted the liquid or the pills. She say she never heard of the pill form but I'll take that. Must be something new.

Edit: Mom just had her scope today. She said the pills were awful. Said they were huge and you had to take 12 and then 12 more 6 hours later. Might stick with the liquid lol

My buddy said the same about his horse pills. The liquid is a no brainer. Like chugging a 16 ounce grape Gatorade and chasing it with 32 oz of water within the next hour.

Comment

Got mine done last year at 50. Unfortunately they found a polyp with a cancer cell, so I had to have surgery to remove that section of my colon. It did result in me being diagnosed with stage 1 cancer.

Did my follow up colonoscopy in August, and thankful no signs of polyps.

My next one will be in 3 years, and I think if that is still clear I do one more in another 3 years, and then get put on a 5 year schedule.

Had I not did this last year when I did, I may have had a worse diagnosis. My Dad's business patterner had the same deal as me and he's in his late 70s.

The point being is if you catch this early your survivability goes way up.

Comment

This is what I used for my prep:

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            My middle brother got diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer today and could be bumped to stage 4 after surgery Friday. This was a big reason for my post...we knew something like this was going to be diagnosed. Add this plus several other friends that have similar diagnosis and I wanted to get folks aware. He is 50 and waited to do it when his doctor recommended. I wish he'd have done the 45 thing.

I somehow skipped over this before. Prayers for your brother!

I got started well before 50 because my wife had history in this area and pushed me, so far all have been clear but that easy feeling makes the simple procedure worthwhile!

Comment

Yeah your GI doctor sucked.

Day before clear liquids like broth.

Start prep at 6pm. Surprep 6 oz bottle #1 plus 10 oz water. Plus drink 32 oz of water in the next hour after that. Did my thing until 11pm and was able to go to sleep until the next round at 4am.

4am - Bottle #2 of prep plus water above 4 hours before procedure. Did my thing until I had to leave at 7am for the procedure appointment at 8am. Had to go one more time before I got called back. Procedure was a breeze and was back home before lunch and took a nap. Ate Whataburger that evening…[emoji16].

Simple and easy …

Sounds like prep has come a LONG way!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                I somehow skipped over this before. Prayers for your brother!

I got started well before 50 because my wife had history in this area and pushed me, so far all have been clear but that easy feeling makes the simple procedure worthwhile!

Thanks Brent.... I'm glad mine was clear at 51 but if I had it to do over again I would have started earlier knowing what I know now myself.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Sounds like prep has come a LONG way!

My Dad just shook his head when I told him what I used. He said....that is one thing where "back in the day" was not better...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbow View Post
                  This is what I used for my prep:

Yes guys please get it done there is no reason not to. I have been dreading doing it cause of the prep. I did the pills and it was to easy. I’m scheduled in two weeks to have 12” of my colon removed dr found a bad spot. I am and still little upset about it but like dr said it’s a good thing we caught it early cause it could be a lot worse. SO PLEASE GET IT DONE STARTING AT 45

Comment

I am 50 and I have never had it. My doctor just sent a referral up so I should be getting a call to set it up soon. Those of you that did the pills, was that option made available or did you have to request it?? I assume whether it's pills or fluids it's all meant to get all the **** out of you prior to the violation/scope going in as to prevent ****ty pics/video

Additionally, for those that suffer from heart burn have your esophagus scoped as well. My dad developed esophageal cancer which eventually took his life. Doctor told us the years of heart burn my dad dealt with was probably the reason cancer developed.

My doctor advised me to have that done as well and mentioned it could be done the same day. The only thing he recommended was that the top end scope job be done first. He said if they go in the bottom first you end up with a crapy after taste from the top side scope job.
                    Last edited by Pedernal; 09-22-2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

TBH PSA: Get your dang colonscopies done!

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      I am 50 and I have never had it. My doctor just sent a referral up so I should be getting a call to set it up soon. Those of you that did the pills, was that option made available or did you have to request it?? I assume where it's pills or fluids it's all meant to get all the **** out of you prior to the violation/scope going in as to prevent ****ty pics

It is a super cleanse, yes. I didn’t have a choice but I’d rather have the 6 ounces of liquid plus 10 ounces of water than the horse pills my buddy described. Mine and my wife’s was like chugging a small Gatorade/Pedialyte then drinking a 32glass of water over the next hour.

Wife and I both had the endoscopy as well. Mine was separate and she had her’s done at the same time as the colonoscopy. Good reminder.
                      Last edited by Smart; 09-22-2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

My doc broke the 45 year old news to me at my physical back in June. I was like “well aren’t you full of good news”. LOL

Thanks for the reminder. Life got busy and I never got it scheduled.

Comment

It is a super cleanse, yes. I didn’t have a choice but I’d rather have the 6 ounces of liquid plus 10 ounces of water than the horse pills my buddy described. Mine and my wife’s was like chugging a small Gatorade/Pedialyte then drinking a 32glass of water over the next hour.
                          Thanks for the info. Is this the day prior and are you pretty much relegated to being close to the porcelain throne??

Comment

Prayers up for your brother and the Family Smart. It’s all about early detection as we all know.
                            Different but I had a rare intestinal cancer that they caught early a couple years ago and took care of it with surgery. My entire priority of life in general changed thanks to the Lord. Listen to your body folks and get your checkups.

Comment

I know this is about colonoscopies which are very important (I have had 3), but also get your PSA (prostate specific antigen) level checked at least yearly and especially if if you are over 50. My PSA had slowly increased from the low 2 range to up over 4 over about a 3 year period. A prostate specific MRI and a biopsy in in April indicated that I have prostate cancer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                                Thanks for the info. Is this the day prior and are you pretty much relegated to being close to the porcelain throne??

Here's my post #62 that summarized it. My wife's was similar 3 months later. Yes you need to be at home near the throne. I did not spent all night on it like some folks claim they do in years past, but I did have to make several trips per bottle. My first batch finished around 11pm and I was able to get some sleep until round 2. Keep in mind round 2 starts around 4 hours before your actual procedure so your second bottle timing might be different.

Day before procedure clear liquids like broth.

Start prep at 6pm. Surprep 6 oz bottle #1 plus 10 oz water.Then drink 32 oz of water in the next hour after that. Took 1.5 hours to start. Did my thing until 11pm and was able to go to sleep until the next round at 4am.

4am - Bottle #2 of prep plus water about 4 hours before procedure. Did my thing until I had to leave at 7am for the procedure appointment at 8am. Had to go one more time before I got called back. Procedure was a breeze and was back home before lunch and took a nap. Ate Whataburger that evening….

Simple and easy …

Comment

Working...
                                X