Reminded myself today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminded myself today

Why my recurve has been sitting in the back of the closet for a year. Its so **** frustrating to shoot. Got a deer with my compound a few weeks ago and decided to play with the recurve today. I must either have a hand eye coordination problem or an eye dominance problem. Been trying off and on for 12 years to shoot a trad bow consistently. I would love to be a trad bow hunter but I've never gotten good enough to trust my shooting on an animal. I envy those of you that can shoot well.

Shoot it more! I shot mine almost daily for a couple of years before I felt comfortable enough to hunt with it. Get it back out and start shooting at 3 or 4 yards until you’re consistent and move back a yard or two. I still don’t feel comfortable shooting farther than 15 yards at an animal.

Comment

Put a sight on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
        Put a sight on it

And/or give up the recurve. Get a 62”-66” longbow. Consider a string follow longbow like what Howard Hill shot... considerably more forgiving. And arrows over 600 gn with EFOC.

Good luck either way.
        Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-30-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

The only is straight ahead. Total commitment. You'll have to embrace the struggle to get good at it.

Comment

If it were easy everyone would do it. The fact that it is hard is what makes it so worthwhile when you finally get it right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Watch “the push” on YouTube it helped me a ton with my consistency

Comment

Years ago I bought the Masters of the Barebow DVDs volumes 1-3. I used to keep a shooting log of what worked for me and what didn't. Used to ask lots of questions on here. Used to shoot a lot. I just think it may not be in the cards for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
                  Shoot it more! I shot mine almost daily for a couple of years before I felt comfortable enough to hunt with it. Get it back out and start shooting at 3 or 4 yards until you’re consistent and move back a yard or two. I still don’t feel comfortable shooting farther than 15 yards at an animal.
                  X2

Don’t know of any shortcuts when shooting traditional. Just shooting and more shooting to get your confidence built up to take on a critter. Don’t give up on it, shooting traditional is hard to do but is also rewarding. Good luck!

Comment

I started to use the string walking technique then transitioned to the fixed crawl technique it has really helped me get the hang of shooting without sights

Comment

Heck, you can even use a sight. It will actually help you develop good and consistent form.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Anything that requires work and dedication to become proficient gives so much more back to you when it all finally clicks. The Asbell books are worth their weight in gold.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                          Why my recurve has been sitting in the back of the closet for a year. Its so **** frustrating to shoot. Got a deer with my compound a few weeks ago and decided to play with the recurve today. I must either have a hand eye coordination problem or an eye dominance problem. Been trying off and on for 12 years to shoot a trad bow consistently. I would love to be a trad bow hunter but I've never gotten good enough to trust my shooting on an animal. I envy those of you that can shoot well.
                          When i first started with trad i had the same problems. I practiced a lot and experimented with my anchor point ( some higher on the cheek and some lower) same with draw length same an inch ot two longer than others. I found that when i tried to get a little more draw out of it my shooting was terrible.
                          Another thing i did was walk arounf with a judo point and shoot at sapling cedar and cactus. never ranging them, just looking and shooting with out much thought. You will eventually get good and have much more fun than shooting at a tatget and getting frustrated

Comment

You just have to keep at it, it's great if you can get with another trad shooter and shoot together. To keep things interesting; I like shoot with my 17 year old Grandson who has been shooting trad since he was three and have little competitions.

Comment

Youtube videos like from Clay Hayes and Jeff Kavanaugh might give some helpful direction. Gotta keep at it year round, took me a while to be comfortable and consistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X