skid steer question/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We bought some land (east texas) that was logged last year. Decent amount of slash on the ground and ive been piling up to burn and clear a few places out for food plots. We will be burning and replanting pine this or next year. Ive been doing this with my tractor grapple. Ive so far busted off my oil filter and a couple other small things doing this work and its not the fastest. Was thinking of getting a 20K ish skid steer, use til im done then sell it rather then rent one for a few weekends. Ill start by saying i have never used a skid steer, but been driving tractors most of my life. I am not getting rid of my tractor as I need it to help my dad cut/bale hay and I already have about every implement id need for tractor and dont want to start over buying skid steer implements. My thinking is skid steer are made more for this work and probably wont get hurt as much driving over sticks that pop up as well as probably faster. Land i am clearing is mostly flat. Id probably be going with a wheeled skid. I get that a tracked one may be better for this, but they cost more as well as more to maintain/fix. Im not going to be working when its muddy or anything, so would a wheeled machine work just as well?

We just bought a brand new Kubota SSV75 wheeled skid. Hard to beat the financing on equipment right now, but it is also hard to find any new or used equipment. Most get sold the first few days they are on the lot. Also look at your local rental places to buy off of them. They may look beat up but the maintenance on them is usually really good to keep business from big companies that need them to be reliable.

Comment

The tracks will be 10 to 1 better for your job. If you gonna stay on tires just use the tractor

Comment

Skid steer with a 84 inch grapple will knock it out fast. Your price range maybe hard to find something worth a dang thou

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          The tracks will be 10 to 1 better for your job. If you gonna stay on tires just use the tractor
          what is it that makes the tracks better i guess is my question? Im scooping up and stacking logging slash into burn piles. I was looking at it from more of a durability on equipment issue.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
            what is it that makes the tracks better i guess is my question? Im scooping up and stacking logging slash into burn piles. I was looking at it from more of a durability on equipment issue.
            You won't get stuck in tracks especially if its sandy or muddy.

Comment

Climbing over chunks and stumps will drive you crazy on wheels. You will be hung up as much as you will he working.

Comment

Better traction, more power to the ground, better maneuverability, more stability, and actually probably less maintenance, as in no sticks in your tires. I’m with GarGuy, tracked is the way to go. You’re gonna pay more, but you’re gonna recoup that when you sell it. Good luck !

Comment

DO NOT GET WHEELED. I've used both, wheeled and tracks. You will be disappointed, especially when you are trying to rip out stumps.
                  As mentioned before, the traction is much better. I have a tree/stump bucket with 1 grapple on it.
                  It works perfect for what you need.
                  I usually rent the units now, no maintenance and get one every other year or so for maintenance or new jobs that pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Better traction, more power to the ground, better maneuverability, more stability, and actually probably less maintenance, as in no sticks in your tires. I’m with GarGuy, tracked is the way to go. You’re gonna pay more, but you’re gonna recoup that when you sell it. Good luck !

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                    DO NOT GET WHEELED. I've used both, wheeled and tracks. You will be disappointed, especially when you are trying to rip out stumps.
                    As mentioned before, the traction is much better. I have a tree/stump bucket with 1 grapple on it.
                    It works perfect for what you need.
                    I usually rent the units now, no maintenance and get one every other year or so for maintenance or new jobs that pop up.

This…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So here’s another thought. Why not go buy an older brute of a loader tractor and get a big grapple for it. And run it. It would be more dual purpose.

I have both tracked skid steer and many tractors. They all have pros and cons. But I wouldn’t even consider a wheeled skid steer.

Comment

I only have expierence with bobcats but I think track machines have a smoother ride

You could probably get a decent T450 for 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Around here I prefer wheels.
                          In East Texas tracks are 10X better.

Comment

You’d probably be better off financing a brand new kubota at 0% with a grapple. Tracks are a must. Use it till you’re done and sell it. The way skid steers are right now you’d have a hard time finding a new one but wouldn’t take much to unload it when you’re done. Hell the dealership would prolly buy it back from you.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                              You’d probably be better off financing a brand new kubota at 0% with a grapple. Tracks are a must. Use it till you’re done and sell it. The way skid steers are right now you’d have a hard time finding a new one but wouldn’t take much to unload it when you’re done. Hell the dealership would prolly buy it back from you.

I cant imagine selling a used one in less than a year I wouldnt lose more money than buying a used to resell for probably close to what i pay for it. Generally a good bit of depreciation the moment something leaves a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X