CB Radio Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB Radio Info

Thinking about getting a Cobra 29 LTD Classic with a Firestick antenna, or if someone knows a better package I'm all ears.

Also want to find a place to dial everything in. any good shops around the Dallas area/

I’ve got a cb in my pickup. Sometimes I can catch traffic but it’s not like the good old days where you could listen and talk just about anywhere. I bought a HAM radio last year for under 100 bucks and there plenty of traffic on it. Even more so out west. A handheld you can take with you is pretty handy too. You can program in all the repeaters in your area and be covered just about anywhere you go.

Comment

I ran a side band Midland back in the day. Back when you had to have a license for it.

Comment

Pretty sure the 29 LTD has a built in SWR tuner so you should be able to tune it with the CB. I used the chrome shop west of Weatherford on I-20 to set up an older unit in my Jeep. He was extremely reasonably priced and got good reception out of it. However as mentioned there isn’t that much talk on it unless you are at an off road park.

Comment

x2 for the Chrome Shop on I20 in Weatherford and there not much traffic these days. I bought my cb and had it installed there. They'll peak it and tune it for you there, doesn't take long. I'd call ahead though and see if the tech is going to be there. Hard to go wrong with a Cobra 29 and a firestick.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
            Pretty sure the 29 LTD has a built in SWR tuner so you should be able to tune it with the CB. I used the chrome shop west of Weatherford on I-20 to set up an older unit in my Jeep. He was extremely reasonably priced and got good reception out of it. However as mentioned there isn’t that much talk on it unless you are at an off road park.
            Yea I have see that shop when I use to hunt in Abilene. Thanks

Comment

CB is pretty much dead these days.

Comment

On a 29LTD, you can look on YouTube and it’ll show you how to peak it out and get the most swing from it. It’s a very simple process. Turning some lugs and possibly clipping a diode or two. I’m not up to date on the new fire sticks, but when I was younger, a steel whip would work so much better than a fire stick for reception/transmission. Might at well put a linear in there as well so you can key up and talk with some authority.

CB’s just aren’t like they used to be.

Comment

What do truck drivers communicate with these days?

Or do they?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

Or do they?
                    I’ve recently wondered the same thing. Back in the 70s I remember what a big deal it was during the CB craze. Deciding on your handle, learning all the jargon, etc.. it was great to have on a long road trip - the chatter was non stop. I think it really annoyed the truck drivers when everybody got one

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      I’ve recently wondered the same thing. Back in the 70s I remember what a big deal it was during the CB craze. Deciding on your handle, learning all the jargon, etc.. it was great to have on a long road trip - the chatter was non stop. I think it really annoyed the truck drivers when everybody got one
                      That's a big 10-4

Comment

I still have all my stuff. Dead motor mall would do.17 volts. 3 cat batteries in a tool box. It would do 4000 watts man that was fun. It's easy to **** truck drivers off

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

Or do they?
                          The main reason for the CB back in the day was to find out road conditions up ahead, police lying in wait, entertainment and directions. With gps and satellite radio all that kinda fell by the wayside.

Comment

Used to run a CB for years. Really enjoyed it on trips. People got so nasty and dirty talking on it I just took it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              The main reason for the CB back in the day was to find out road conditions up ahead, police lying in wait, entertainment and directions. With gps and satellite radio all that kinda fell by the wayside.
                              Back in HS they were to keep up with all your buddies. No cell phones back then. Had to find out where the party was. Had to have call letters too.

Comment

Working...
                              X