Surgery soon. Nervous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery soon. Nervous.

On Easter 2017, I found out just what a 10 on the pain scale was for me. Wife found me balled up on the floor, writhing in pain. ER didn’t know what to do with me, besides some temporary pain meds. I was miserable.

Found out I have degenerative disk disease, and a few bulging disks, and the combo pinches the nerve and causes me a lot of pain in my neck, shoulder, arm and hand.

Pain management in San Antonio took good care of me. Dr. Fom was an awesome doc. (If you are in San Antonio and need pain management, I highly recommend him - I can provide his number if you need) I was nervous about epidural steroid injections, but that doc put me at ease, and took away my pain in a short time. But I moved back to VA a few years later, and the pain management doc here... ain’t Dr. Fom. I’ll just leave it at that.

Finally got to see a surgeon last year. They said it was not necessary, and actually recommended against it, as they said I could end up in worse pain.

Fast forward to this year. Pain management doc sent me to another surgeon for a second opinion after a new MRI and X-ray. It’s not much of a choice anymore. I really need surgery to fix this issue, as it’s just going to get worse. Epidural steroid shots are just masking the issue, not curing the problem, and they aren’t working as well as they did in San Antonio.

Ok. Schedule me for surgery. So what’s involved? Kinda wish I had never asked that. He goes in from the front. The front. In other words... he’s going to cut my throat for access! He said I’d likely hate his guts and curse him out for the first two weeks post-op, but by week 4, I’d be happy I got it done.

Speaking of week 4...That’s when I could remove the cervical collar. I have to wear it for 4 weeks. He recommended I buy a recliner (which I already did), because it would be too hard to sleep in bed.

I know I need to just get it done, and stop worrying about it... but it’s almost a month out (June 22nd), and for some reason, I’m super nervous. Probably because it’s my spine. Trying to think positive thoughts.

All the best,
    Glenn

disk and nerve pain aint no joke. im sure im going to need to same thing on my lumbar spine in the distant future, but hoping i can fix it with strength training. Praying it goes smooth and the pain is finally at ease for you.

Comment

I've had 6-7 back surgeries. Nothing else they can do for me now. I've just learned to live with the pain (don't like pain meds but use 10-15 a month when I HAVE TO). Each surgery seemed harder to get over. But, I'm walking. And shooting a bow again!

Nervous is normal. But these days its like your mechanic doing an oil change. Routine and pretty safe.

Best of luck with the surgery and recovery.

Comment

God bless my friend! Keep searching till you feel confident in the right decision.. Keep the faith, you will know when it's the right time...

Comment

My father in law just had a procedure done very similar to what you are describing. He got through it, no big deal. The neck collar is a pain, but it’s worth it for just 6 weeks. You’ll be fine and glad you got it fixed in two months. Prayers for recovery

Comment

Try not to sweat it! If you have done your research on your surgeon without the aid of the PMD it will be all good! If you have Any questions at all then get them answered ASAP to ease your anxieties! I did a lot of those injections ( because pain management dr’s sell the heck out of them) but I will not do anymore! When they roll you into prep and get your IV started you will start feeling so danged good and have relief from your pain like you haven’t had in a long time :-)

Continuous prayers for your successful surgery, comfort, prompt and full recovery!

Comment

Dang! You have been put through the mill! Will send a prayer that the surgery will give you relief!

Comment

Prayers up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get ready for the sore throat of your life!!! I’ve had that surgery twice. After a few months you’ll be so glad you did it! If you need any pointers shoot me a PM

Comment

You’ll make it bro. I’ve got two bulging disc and my L1 was compressed 21% in 2017 due to a grand mal seizure. My back has never recovered from that. There’s days I get up and it literally feels like my vertebrae are trying to realign and it’s painful. I do not want surgery so gonna try to ride it out as long as I can. Your not alone brother
                    God has this and you in His hands.
                    Last edited by Hogmauler; 05-20-2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

So Pass, how do you get through the sore throat? Pain meds? Warm drinks etc? Personally I was frightened about the pain meds and constipation caused by them.

Comment

It was my lower back, but the best thing I did was have surgery. Had to use a wheelchair to get into the hospital, walk out that afternoon.

Comment

Been there. Prayers sent

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Prayers for a successful surgery and complete healing.

Comment

Prayers for a successful surgery.

Comment

Working...
                              X