I modified a modified climbing stick- ultra modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I modified a modified climbing stick- ultra modified

This original modification is one lots do to save weight, and quite down the Lon wolf steps. The “rope mod” has several variations and all work, but I dispise knots so I went with 1/4” “Amsteel” due to extreme light weight, super easy to splice, and strong beyond comparison ( it’s synthetic winch rope). And that’s what I bought vs by the foot I bought it off amazon in 49’ length for $23.

Also added stealth strips to quiet it down more, waxed all washers and filed back side of steps where they bulge initially (bought used)

But the star of it all, extra thick hair ties! Was trying to come up with a way to transport and keep everything neat and packable without bulk... or a knot. So I made another locked Brummell with hair tie on end to fit versa button. Back splice won’t work here since not under load enough.

I made my splicing fid from an old 2117 arrow with a glue in insert but it’s so easy there are dozens of ways on YouTube.
    I’ll post a few pics of progress
    Attached Files

Hair ties I used. Bought at Walmart
    Attached Files

Comment

And this is what I was trying to achieve. No knot to untie. Simple and fast

I cut rope 10’2” cut to cut. Made my splice marks at12.5” and 17.5” I believe and the bungee end was tagged in probably 4”. It’s not “load bearing “ but I bet it would hold
      Attached Files

Comment

Stacked and packed. I removed almost 2 lbs with factory buckles and straps and completely illuminated a 4 metal buckles that sooner or later where gonna go “clank” reguardless of modification and coverage. Package together they were almost guaranteed to make noise. Rope is quiet!
        Attached Files

Comment

They bite hard with no more and probably less sag than factory straps.... and they are never twisted! Dozens of you tube videos to show the way to tie it off for anyone wanting to do this. I could untie it and it won’t slip
          Attached Files

Comment

4 sticks on tree almost disappears! 20’ to top step easily with no additional webbing. Just a test climb. Didn’t time it but well under 5 minutes maybe in the 3ish. Plan on pig hunting with it even where I have stands just to become more proficient with it before next season and develop my own method of procedure
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Low Fence; 02-19-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Just so I had zero waste I took leftover rope and made a secondary lineman’s belt for going over limbs. It’s a “whoopie sling” (look up on YouTube). It weighs literally zero. A few grains? You could put in shirt pocket and never know it was there it’s so light and compact. I’ll leave girth hitched to harness. It will adjust to probably anything I’d realistically climb.

The step straps will also allow much larger diameter trees. I test fit one on the absolute biggest one I would climb and I just went.... and I honestly don’t see me climbing one that big, but I can if needed!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Low Fence; 02-19-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Good work Kyle

BTW I have a fid set you are welcome to borrow anytime you need it

Comment

Kyle, great job, I put together the exact same thing but I didn't take no pictures. I had to copy everything from different web sites to get it finished. But I'm ready now.

Comment

I like that set up. Nice work.

Comment

Up for the campfire thread

Comment

Do you watch The Hunting Public? It's great show and very informative for those like myself who do not get to hunt public land as much as I'd like.

Awesome setup btw

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Nice work Kyle.

I have found over 35 years of hunting public, that the older I get, the more I pay attention to how much I carry . Three more years and I'll almost catch Burnadale.

Comment

Cool, nice work

Comment

Working...
                              X