No announcement yet.

Sam Houston tree stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ended up going a different direction. Picked up a stand from a fellow TBHer, but it’s a hang-on. Couldn’t pass the deal up. So I ordered a set of Hawk Helium sticks and just got back from academy picking up a safety harness.

Need to hit the REI for some climbing rope to make a linesman rig and I’ll be all set. Next weekend I’ll be hitting the NF to try it all out and see if I can get my fat butt up into a tree.

Comment

Yeah you can do it. I was doing it at an out of shape 275. Go slow and don’t get complacent with the safety aspect.

Comment

Pack everything in and out. Go early and sit all day. Don't leave any signs you were there. Climbers are best. Be patient and quiet. I like hunting the thickest, nastiest stuff you can traverse. Stay away from fields, pipelines and power lines. Don't give up on an area just move some. 50-100 yards can change everything. My average shot for bow is <20 yards. For rifle it is around 50 yards. Can't see much further in thick stuff. I have hunted it for about 40 years now and have taken many deer. Your opportunities will come in time. May take a few years to understand how they behave but they will still be unpredictable.

Comment

Question on the climbers. If you need to get down out of the tree quickly it just ain't happening or is there some option I am not aware of? Or is it possible to get down quickly with a climber?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            Question on the climbers. If you need to get down out of the tree quickly it just ain't happening or is there some option I am not aware of? Or is it possible to get down quickly with a climber?
            You can move them along pretty quick when you get the hang of them. A little slower than climbing a ladder. Much louder when not taking your time.

Comment

Climber is the way...as long as ya got straight enough trees..used them 20y+ and I ain't no lightweight 275...They make HD models ..climb with a small portable pruning saw.for those limbs that get in way..If ya got a secret spot climb and pre prune. Really helps BUT someone may Thank ya if its no secret enough...

If ya gona move /i always do it( noon time) find tree climb and prep the use that eve and next morn...

Always look at condition of trees that could fall your way...Had it happen once and I was (lucky it fell away from me)

Comment

When using a climber get on the high side of the tree. Pines are easiest to climb.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgunner11 View Post
                  Ended up going a different direction. Picked up a stand from a fellow TBHer, but it’s a hang-on. Couldn’t pass the deal up. So I ordered a set of Hawk Helium sticks and just got back from academy picking up a safety harness.

Need to hit the REI for some climbing rope to make a linesman rig and I’ll be all set. Next weekend I’ll be hitting the NF to try it all out and see if I can get my fat butt up into a tree.
                  Climbing sticks and a hang on will give you more options on where you can hunt so I think you did good getting the hang on. I've hunted a lot of public and used to use climbers but it will limit you to the trees you can use. I switched to climbing sticks and hang on and haven't looked back. The newer climbing sticks and lock ons are light weight and versatile. Get some practice in before the season using a lineman's rope while attaching the sticks and stand and make sure to use a safety rope when you're in the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                    Climbing sticks and a hang on will give you more options on where you can hunt so I think you did good getting the hang on. I've hunted a lot of public and used to use climbers but it will limit you to the trees you can use. I switched to climbing sticks and hang on and haven't looked back. The newer climbing sticks and lock ons are light weight and versatile. Get some practice in before the season using a lineman's rope while attaching the sticks and stand and make sure to use a safety rope when you're in the stand.
                    Already enlisted one of my huge buddies to go with me this weekend to the national forest to play a bit. Could take the wife but her tiny self isn’t dragging my big butt to the truck if I fall.

Comment

Killed a lot of deer out of climbers in Public ground. Don't over look it. Easier to use than a hang on.

Comment

I have always used a climber. If I was hunting for a few days I would use strap on steps and take the lower 10’ off leaving the stand in the air. Someone put in some effort one night to get it down and tried to shoot the lock off. Thankfully they missed. I climbed the tree shot a buck that night and packed everything out. Only issue I had but I hunted in a small isolated section of the forest.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                          Why would you need to get out of the tree that quick? Stomach issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Eat’em Up View Post
                            I have always used a climber. If I was hunting for a few days I would use strap on steps and take the lower 10’ off leaving the stand in the air. Someone put in some effort one night to get it down and tried to shoot the lock off. Thankfully they missed. I climbed the tree shot a buck that night and packed everything out. Only issue I had but I hunted in a small isolated section of the forest.
                            I used to do this on LBJ. Still had several stolen. Not sure how they got up to them but they did.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X