No announcement yet.

Ladder Stand vs Lock on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the replies. I don’t have any experience with today’s lock on stands. This will be a mostly permanent area I hunt in but I won’t be limited to a tree. I’ll probably end up moving it within a 50-100 yard area if I need to get in the “right” tree. I have a set of hawk helium sticks and a hawk helium lock on platform. I’ve actually never hunted out of this set up, I’m a climber stand guy 99% of the time. I figured I’d either take the stand and sticks and leave them for the majority of the season, or take a lock on and leave it there until further notice. I can see comfort being a plus on the ladder stand. How comfortable do they feel at 18’+? Don’t think I’ve seen one that tall that I can remember. I prefer to be at least 20’ and I can get that out of my sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

used to climb like a black bear now like a grizzly, back half of sixtys so ladders. tripods you don't even need a tree,

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        I’m about 90 percent ladders these days.
        Ladders are for old men!

If you follow the instructions on most all ladders- 3 persons to setup. Yes- I know you can do it with one person.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
          Lock-ons take 10 times longer to set up and nowhere near as safe as a ladder stand.
          I’ll put up a loc on at 20’ faster and much safer than a single person can put up a 14’ ladder. Add in a hunt where you can’t drive straight to the tree and drop it off…. I’ll have a deer drug out and skinned before you get a ladder put up. Lol

They do have their place though and I have several i hunt

Comment

I used to be scared of lock ons, I don't like heights. After hunting in them for a while, I prefer it. I do like larger platforms though. I feel like I can hang a lock on with better cover. It takes the perfect tree to get a ladder in it and have enough cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post

If you follow the instructions on most all ladders- 3 persons to setup. Yes- I know you can do it with one person.
              3 people? Maybe if they’re all from Arkansas!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                Sorry, but have to disagree about longer to set up. I can get mine up pretty quick.
                Ladder stands, I have to have 2 other guys to put those up and those are the 2 man stands. Pain in the arse getting those up.
                do you have 2 man lock ons?

If not, why a 2 man ladder?

I set mine up by myself.

Comment

I very much prefer a ladder stand. I have both 1 and 2 man ladders that can be set up in a relatively short amount of time. I just feel more secure in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Ladders are for old men!

Ever heard of LAWYERS?

Comment

I'm a ladder and tripod/quadpod guy now and I don't like to get very high up anymore....

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                        do you have 2 man lock ons?

If not, why a 2 man ladder?

I set mine up by myself.
                        Don’t believe they make “2 man” lock on lol!!!
                        Our ladder stands are set up at feeders. We use the 2 man types so we can sit with grand kids or when we are doing hog hunts, a father and son/daughter can hunt together.
                        My lock on that I hunt are set up on scrape lines, trails, or a natural food source.
                        For those that use ladder stands and set up by yourself, y’all are taking a pretty good chance of climbing that thing to strap it to the tree. I mean, you have nobody holding it at the bottom while you are strapping it to the tree.

Comment

Our ladder stands are set up at feeders. We use the 2 man types so we can sit with grand kids or when we are doing hog hunts, a father and son/daughter can hunt together.
                          My lock on that I hunt are set up on scrape lines, trails, or a natural food source.
                          For those that use ladder stands and set up by yourself, y’all are taking a pretty good chance of climbing that thing to strap it to the tree. I mean, you have nobody holding it at the bottom while you are strapping it to the tree.
                          I actually use an extension ladder to put stands up rather than relying to the stand itself

Comment

you were comparing 2 man ladder stand against 1 man lock on...my point.

I have long straps that go around the tree from top to bottom and around the tree before I climb and a mid section pole that clamps to the tree. It doesn't move. Nobody needs to hold it from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                              you were comparing 2 man ladder stand against 1 man lock on...my point.

I have long straps that go around the tree from top to bottom and around the tree before I climb and a mid section pole that clamps to the tree. It doesn't move. Nobody needs to hold it from the bottom.
                              My point was setting up a lock on vs a 2 man ladder stand with one person. I have put up more than my share of ladder stands and I ain’t gonna do it by myself.

Comment

I'd much prefer a ladder stand but since I hunt public land exclusively that is not an option. Ladders are not mobile.

Comment

Working...
                                X