• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Cobra

Found this in Grapeland Texas

Ol Mr Hognose

Comment

Eastern Hognose. Pretty cool. He was not happy to see you!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        Eastern Hognose. Pretty cool. He was not happy to see you!
        No he wasn’t. He left happy and unharmed.

Comment

Cool snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool. The very first time I ever saw a hognose snake, was when I was about five or six years old. I saw a snake slithering through the grass out in the front yard at my grandparent's place. So I took off outside to see what it was. They had a lot of large rattlers and moccasins around where they lived. Every time they found one, I got taken in the house, till the snake was dead, I never got to see a live one. I wanted to see a live snake, more so a rattler. So when I saw a snake moving through the grass in the front yard and it was obviously pretty big, I took off out the front door, with my grandmother yelling at me to get back in the house.

I ran out to the snake, got right in front of it and that sucker popped up out of the grass and flatted out like a cobra. That one was at least 6 ft. long, it stood up over foot high, at the time, it seemed like I was eye to eye with the snake. My grandmother taught me about snakes, we would go through snake books often. I would see cobras and ask, if we have them around where we live, she told me no, they live on the other side of the world a long ways away. So I was safe from cobras. Then that snake I found in the yard, goes and pops up out of the grass and flattens it's self out and opens it's mouth like a cobra. I froze, stiff as could be. My grandmother was yelling at me to get away, I could not move, she had to drag me away.

She went and got her snake books, looked it up and determined it was a hognose snake and told my grandfather not to shoot it.

It took a while for me to believe that was not really a cobra, that almost got me.

Since then I have seen maybe ten hognose snakes, everyone of them, would only flatten out and look like road kill. None of them tried the cobra imitation. All I have seen since that first one, were no more than a 1 1/2 ft. long. I have not seen a large hognose since that first one.

That's pretty cool finding a larger hognose and it trying to convince you it was a cobra.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              That's cool. The very first time I ever saw a hognose snake, was when I was about five or six years old. I saw a snake slithering through the grass out in the front yard at my grandparent's place. So I took off outside to see what it was. They had a lot of large rattlers and moccasins around where they lived. Every time they found one, I got taken in the house, till the snake was dead, I never got to see a live one. I wanted to see a live snake, more so a rattler. So when I saw a snake moving through the grass in the front yard and it was obviously pretty big, I took off out the front door, with my grandmother yelling at me to get back in the house.

I ran out to the snake, got right in front of it and that sucker popped up out of the grass and flatted out like a cobra. That one was at least 6 ft. long, it stood up over foot high, at the time, it seemed like I was eye to eye with the snake. My grandmother taught me about snakes, we would go through snake books often. I would see cobras and ask, if we have them around where we live, she told me no, they live on the other side of the world a long ways away. So I was safe from cobras. Then that snake I found in the yard, goes and pops up out of the grass and flattens it's self out and opens it's mouth like a cobra. I froze, stiff as could be. My grandmother was yelling at me to get away, I could not move, she had to drag me away.

She went and got her snake books, looked it up and determined it was a hognose snake and told my grandfather not to shoot it.

It took a while for me to believe that was not really a cobra, that almost got me.

Since then I have seen maybe ten hognose snakes, everyone of them, would only flatten out and look like road kill. None of them tried the cobra imitation. All I have seen since that first one, were no more than a 1 1/2 ft. long. I have not seen a large hognose since that first one.

That's pretty cool finding a larger hognose and it trying to convince you it was a cobra.
              A 6 ft hognose snake? You must be a fisherman

Comment

First and last I saw I was 14 and my black lab had him pinned up.It was 4 or 5 foot and flared up like a cobra I was scared to death for my dog I grabbed his chain and pulled him away.I told folks about it and no one seemed to believe me.It was years later I found out what kind of snake it actually was.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  A 6 ft hognose snake? You must be a fisherman

Maybe. He’s for sure a wordsmith though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found one a few years ago that was dead. He's about to take a trip to Hays,Kansas to stay at the Sternberg Museum of Natural History. Longest Eastern Hognose on record.

Comment

Saw one years ago while driving down a dirt road in Young county. I was basically just trying to avoid running over this snake, when it popped up and spread its “hood”. First one I’d ever seen. Slammed on the brakes and got out to try and get a closer look, but never found it in the tall grass. Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        I found one a few years ago that was dead. He's about to take a trip to Hays,Kansas to stay at the Sternberg Museum of Natural History. Longest Eastern Hognose on record.
                        Length?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                          Length?
                          You can't post that without giving is a length.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                            Length?
                            48 5/8". The previous record was 45 1/2".

That's for Eastern Hognose. Biggest Western Hognose on record was like 39 1/2" I think. I found one about 3 weeks ago right at 32" which was the biggest one I've seen.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 07-07-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

48 5/8". The previous record was 45 1/2".

That's for Eastern Hognose. Biggest Western Hognose on record was like 39 1/2" I think. I found one about 3 weeks ago right at 32" which was the biggest one I've seen.
                              Unpossible. There is more than one mentioned here longer than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X