Chandeleur Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    I won’t have anymore practice sessions before the trip, but I feel ready. I have to make one last academy trip before we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear ya. Gonna run to FTU by my house. Gonna take my wife’s Honda Pilot so I still have a catalytic converter when I get out.

Comment

Three guys standing next to each other fishing last week, 2 with brand... both with 8 to 10 break offs between them... 1 solo gent throwing hybrid with zero breaks

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        Three guys standing next to each other fishing last week, 2 with brand... both with 8 to 10 break offs between them... 1 solo gent throwing hybrid with zero breaks

In my defense the braid only broke once, the other times it was the Fluoro leader that broke after catching those dinosaurs. I was only running a 15lbs leader.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          I hear ya. Gonna run to FTU by my house. Gonna take my wife’s Honda Pilot so I still have a catalytic converter when I get out.
          I get in trouble in that place!

Any recommendations on what's best to throw down there? I've only been out there once and that was 15+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

I think I only had one break off and I thumbed the spool on that big *** red. I’m only chunking 20# braid, that was an angry 12# red. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post

Any recommendations on what's best to throw down there? I've only been out there once and that was 15+ years ago.

Last time we did really well on Magic Grass Down South Lures. Decent topwater bite but it was mostly plastics. Other guys were catching them on all kinds of different plastics.

Comment

Doug. Below is what Charlie sent me my first trip and it worked great. I’ll also add matrix shad and DSL. If the water is clear I’ll be throwing a near translucent shad. That’s what I did really well the last 2 trips.

As far as lures, we used a WIDE variety of soft plastics, hard top water baits, some popping corks and such. I personally used a variety of the old standard stuff such as cocaho minnows, sparkle beetles, and various other shrimp and shad imitation lures. The one thing that seemed to help the bite the most was to have a chartreuse tail... My favorite and most consistent soft plastic was the Down South Lures in the darker colors such as Texas Roach and Chicken of the C, both with chartreuse tails... The glow/white with Chartreuse worked well also... We got hits/blow ups almost constantly on about any top water... some of my buddies caught most of their fish on top water's... one guy fished almost exclusively with Corky's, the ones with the long tail. If it didn't have a Chartreuse tail, he dipped it... I've been going there for over 30 years, and really presentation is more important than color, always has been... Take a bait you have confidence in and vary the retrieve until you find out what they like... One morning in particular they were hitting top waters particularly well, but I just could not seem to get good hook ups... I switched to the soft plastics with a 1/8 oz. jig head and fished it fast almost like a buzz bait keeping it on top or close to the top... started catching instantly... later, they liked it slow and on the bottom much like worm fishing for bass... Don't worry so much about the bait as the presentation...

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                  Doug. Below is what Charlie sent me my first trip and it worked great. I’ll also add matrix shad and DSL. If the water is clear I’ll be throwing a near translucent shad. That’s what I did really well the last 2 trips.

As far as lures, we used a WIDE variety of soft plastics, hard top water baits, some popping corks and such. I personally used a variety of the old standard stuff such as cocaho minnows, sparkle beetles, and various other shrimp and shad imitation lures. The one thing that seemed to help the bite the most was to have a chartreuse tail... My favorite and most consistent soft plastic was the Down South Lures in the darker colors such as Texas Roach and Chicken of the C, both with chartreuse tails... The glow/white with Chartreuse worked well also... We got hits/blow ups almost constantly on about any top water... some of my buddies caught most of their fish on top water's... one guy fished almost exclusively with Corky's, the ones with the long tail. If it didn't have a Chartreuse tail, he dipped it... I've been going there for over 30 years, and really presentation is more important than color, always has been... Take a bait you have confidence in and vary the retrieve until you find out what they like... One morning in particular they were hitting top waters particularly well, but I just could not seem to get good hook ups... I switched to the soft plastics with a 1/8 oz. jig head and fished it fast almost like a buzz bait keeping it on top or close to the top... started catching instantly... later, they liked it slow and on the bottom much like worm fishing for bass... Don't worry so much about the bait as the presentation...
                  Thanks! Good advice from Charlie. He actually gave me a bag of baits he likes before the last trip got cancelled. He's a wealth of knowledge and a good guy!

I've make sure have some of what yall suggested. Gonna be fun!

Comment

Doug - all you need is a 4 foot cast net. Going without would be like not taking ice tea

Comment

Getting short fellas.

Comment

Getting short fellas.

Yes it is! I was kind of worried about the weather but guess its gonna be okay.

I just got back from academy getting a few things. They have have the first responder and military discount going so saved 10%!

Comment

Yes it is! I was kind of worried about the weather but guess its gonna be okay.

I just got back from academy getting a few things. They have have the first responder and military discount going so saved 10%!

So you saved $100?

Comment

So you saved $100?

I was gonna say the same thing. Can’t wait, going to be nice to disconnect from civilization for a couple days

Comment

So you saved $100?

I sure could have!

Comment

3 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X