Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
    I can only speak for the area I hunt but I can assure you, the carrying capacity of Nacogdoches county can increase to a lot more than what it is now. (most east tx counties for that matter). Timber management practices all throughout the Pineywoods are the biggest benefit/contributing factor for a higher carrying capacity/healthier deer herd...(i.e. selective thinning, prescribed burning, clearcutting, and BMP's all provide abundant amounts of first, second, and third choice browse within a deer's reach when feeding).
    IMO, I believe Age is the limiting factor around here in us having more trophy potential than nutrition will ever be. (hence why I keep saying more deer will reach maturity if you have a longer archery season/shorter rifle season) You can feed them til your bankrupt, but if you kill everything that walks for 3 months during gun season, you won't ever see your area's true potential on a consistent basis.

I generally agree with this. The state manages the entire states pretty evenly as far as tag allotment and dates go. I believe ETX could benefit from a shorter gun season, but I don’t think the hill country or the remainder of the state need one for that matter. The gulf coast could open up their season earlier, seems most of the bucks south of Houston are done rutting by the second or third week of October. All just my opinion, not trying to stop anyone from having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can only speak for the area I hunt but I can assure you, the carrying capacity of Nacogdoches county can increase to a lot more than what it is now. (most east tx counties for that matter). Timber management practices all throughout the Pineywoods are the biggest benefit/contributing factor for a higher carrying capacity/healthier deer herd...(i.e. selective thinning, prescribed burning, clearcutting, and BMP's all provide abundant amounts of first, second, and third choice browse within a deer's reach when feeding).
      IMO, I believe Age is the limiting factor around here in us having more trophy potential than nutrition will ever be. (hence why I keep saying more deer will reach maturity if you have a longer archery season/shorter rifle season) You can feed them til your bankrupt, but if you kill everything that walks for 3 months during gun season, you won't ever see your area's true potential on a consistent basis.
      What is the optimum carrying for the property you hunt?

What was the utilization rate of second and third choice foods?
      Last edited by Greenheadless; 06-30-2021, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastechred View Post
        Trophies are measured in the memories of chasing deer with friends and family not inches. I have seen too many people pass on and all their worldly achievements are boxed up never to be seen again. We need to remember what this sport is all about.
        Yes but a guy can have both inches and great memories. My longest stint without a trophy was 15 years. I wont even consider a buck unless he's over 6 and 160" and even then I may pass in hopes of him getting bigger the following year. But during all this time of chasing inches I am having the time of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
          Yes but a guy can have both inches and great memories. My longest stint without a trophy was 15 years. I wont even consider a buck unless he's over 6 and 160" and even then I may pass in hopes of him getting bigger the following year. But during all this time of chasing inches I am having the time of my life.
          I think I went like 8 years between "trophies" a while back on our hill country lease. And now going on year 4 for the next one. Who knows when that will be. I think I am turning more into a deer watcher/grower than a deer shooter. And I love every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
            I think I went like 8 years between "trophies" a while back on our hill country lease. And now going on year 4 for the next one. Who knows when that will be. I think I am turning more into a deer watcher/grower than a deer shooter. And I love every minute of it.
            I am the same.

I joke that some folks buy a fish tank to sit in watch fish to reduce stress.

Instead of a fish tank, I like sitting in a box, a ground blind, or a tree and watch critters run around in the woods to reduce stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              I do not think killing less deer = more trophies.

Just as important as letting them grow up is managing your habitat for the carrying capacity.
              Carrying capacity is certainly a limiting factor when it comes to top end bucks. I think the area that I live/hunt is at a tipping point on capacity in many areas. It is absolutely prime whitetail habitat and we have fewer hunters every year.

The OP mentioned having 640-800 acres per hunter. Let me tell ya, it is/would be a chore to kill enough deer off a place that size for one guy, up here. We get 5 tags (2 bucks, 3 does with rifle or up to 5 does with bow). That’s just not enough deer taken off a section of good ground.

Honestly, the more heavily hunted areas around me where people pay at least some attention to letting younger bucks walk produce bigger deer. I have to think that has something to do with numbers being closer to at or below carrying capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Its hilarious when I come home from hunting and my father in law will ask me how was thew hunting. I tell him it was awesome. He says what did you get. I say nothing, and then he looks at me like man you must really be a bad hunter. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bolilloloco View Post
                  and almost as fun
                  lol!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                    Carrying capacity is certainly a limiting factor when it comes to top end bucks. I think the area that I live/hunt is at a tipping point on capacity in many areas. It is absolutely prime whitetail habitat and we have fewer hunters every year.

The OP mentioned having 640-800 acres per hunter. Let me tell ya, it is/would be a chore to kill enough deer off a place that size for one guy, up here. We get 5 tags (2 bucks, 3 does with rifle or up to 5 does with bow). That’s just not enough deer taken off a section of good ground.

Honestly, the more heavily hunted areas around me where people pay at least some attention to letting younger bucks walk produce bigger deer. I have to think that has something to do with numbers being closer to at or below carrying capacity.
                    The idea is one trophy per amount of x acres, you still have to keep check on does, culls, and management type deer for this to be effective.

Comment

I was dead serious. Personally, I would love to see this happen in a couple of east texas counties I hunt. I think in just a few years time, guys would see more mature and higher scoring deer while hunting (my definition of a trophy), not to mention on camera. You take a rifle out of a guys hand and give him a bow, that changes the whole dynamics of things. A trial run of 3 years would be all it would take to see dramatic results.

Something tells me you will see a whole lot more young bucks killed...because, well, they ain't smart and that makes 'em easier pickings for archery hunters. That'll mean mostly the ones wary of archery setups will make it to maturity, and they will be extremely difficult to get on with your bow if i had to guess. (think 1st point for those that have been there)

I don't know the answer, and think its an interesting concept. i know getting in bow range of a mature buck is a challenge, and that's why I choose to bow hunt for them. I'm just not sure making everyone else bow hunt for them as well will necessarily equate to a significant increase in mature bucks being harvested.

my gut tells me the average age of the bucks harvested in a bow only county would decrease. i also think in over-populated counties you'd be compounding the issue by not harvesting as many deer as would be with rifle hunters...or maybe do a doe-only rifle season as part of it.

interesting idea though - not sure if i would support it or not for our place.

Comment

Originally posted by jmiles95 View Post
                        Something tells me you will see a whole lot more young bucks killed...because, well, they ain't smart and that makes 'em easier pickings for archery hunters. That'll mean mostly the ones wary of archery setups will make it to maturity, and they will be extremely difficult to get on with your bow if i had to guess. (think 1st point for those that have been there)

I don't know the answer, and think its an interesting concept. i know getting in bow range of a mature buck is a challenge, and that's why I choose to bow hunt for them. I'm just not sure making everyone else bow hunt for them as well will necessarily equate to a significant increase in mature bucks being harvested.

my gut tells me the average age of the bucks harvested in a bow only county would decrease. i also think in over-populated counties you'd be compounding the issue by not harvesting as many deer as would be with rifle hunters...or maybe do a doe-only rifle season as part of it.

interesting idea though - not sure if i would support it or not for our place.
                        I agree with you 100%... I never said there'd be an increase in mature bucks being harvested, just more of them seen in person and on camera.
                        And I thought we were talking about Trophy Hunting, not killing. If a guy wouldn't shoot a young buck with a rifle, why would he want too with a bow? Just to say you killed a buck? This is why it's so hard to find the right guys to fill a trophy lease. (and I'm not saying you would do this, just anybody in general). If a guy feels the need to just kill a deer, there's plenty of does to go around.

Comment

Man just come to our place and kill a 160-200 in deer for 6500 and have fun. You don’t have to worry about your buddies getting mad cause you shot “their” deer. You don’t have work cook or clean. Much easier and more effective way to kill a trophy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                              Man just come to our place and kill a 160-200 in deer for 6500 and have fun. You don’t have to worry about your buddies getting mad cause you shot “their” deer. You don’t have work cook or clean. Much easier and more effective way to kill a trophy.

This is becoming more and more popular. I have yet to do it with a whitetail but have done a few weekend warrior axis hunts and have had a good time. Half the cost and no work. To each their own!

Comment

Reducing the number of tags each guy gets is not the solution. Put a bow in somebody's hands with unlimited tags versus one tag per person with a rifle, and every single year, there will still be more deer harvested by rifle than archery equipment. It is infinitely harder to kill a deer with a bow than with a rifle. And fyi, the majority of the bucks I've killed that I consider a "trophy" have been killed with a rifle.
                                And a whole lotta wounded deer running around as a result of inexperienced archery hunters

Comment

Working...
                                X