Need Help from Green Screen Gourmands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help from Green Screen Gourmands

I am sitting here working on my meal plan for next week and am looking for suggestions from the GS Gourmands for fish- and game-related dishes that are particularly suited for the long, hot days of summer.

When the temperatures start to reach near the 100s, my husband can get a little “off his feed,” particularly when he’s out in the heat all day.

I’m looking for recipes that:

-are relatively light and might include summer herbs, fruits, and vegetables (salsas & compotes, for example)
    -create very little heat in the kitchen (this usually means “no oven”)
    -aren’t heavy and filling
    -make use of the wild fish and game we have in the freezer (venison, upland game birds, and (mostly) white fish

To give you some context, some of our favorite summertime meals include uncooked fare such as tartares, ceviches, and charcuteries of cold cuts. For meals that require a little heat, I usually stick to stove-top cooking such as stir-frys or dishes that include wine-based sauces (i.e., Piccatta) and, occasionally, pressure cooking.

So let's hear ‘em, your favorite “go to” meals when the heat becomes near intolerable!

Maybe a ceviche is in order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I love a good ceviche. My husband brought some red snapper home from a recent fishing trip to the coast. I’m moving it ahead in the ceviche rotation since it’s so difficult to get Copper River salmon these days.

Comment

Look up some good barley salad recipes. Ours has barley, tomatoes, bell peppers, and a little onion. Served cold and mixed with a vinegar. Will ask the misses if she has the recipe written down.

Off course some cold watermelon with tajin for hydration.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out Coachs Wife posts here. She had a slew of fantastic recipes.

Comment

Shrimp tacos with a mango salsa.

Comment

I like to marinate diced cucumbers and shredded carrots in rice vinegar. Mix with white rice and serve with some grilled protein.

Make some homemade sushi with some smoked fish.

Comment

All of the above. A good cold watermelon will cool a guy off and a great snack and restores water in your system.

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. Each of them sound like something we’d enjoy so look for me to fix them soon.

Will also look up the posts from Coachs Wife. Sounds almost like a treasure hunt!

Comment

I've been doing venison barbacoa and carnitas from front leg quarters. There are several posts on these. I like the tacos in the warmer times. The last thing I tried was al pastor from the leg quarter. I think maybe my favorite for hot weather as you garnish it with cilantro, pineapple and avocado.

Comment

A little something I came up with. Not sure how light it is but it is good.

Texas Lobster Rolls with Wasabi Butter Sauce.

For the Old Bay Sauce:

Ingredients:
                      2 cups (4 sticks) butter, melted
                      Zest and juice of 2 lemons
                      2 tablespoons crushed garlic
                      A few dashes of hot sauce to taste.
                      2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
                      ————————————————
                      The wasabi butter sauce.

Ingredients;
                      2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
                      10 fluid ounces white wine
                      1/4 cup minced shallots
                      1 tablespoon wasabi paste, or to taste (don't worry about the wasabi heat, it cooks off)
                      1 tablespoon soy sauce
                      1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
                      salt and black pepper to taste
                      Cajun Seasoning to taste
                      1 cup chopped cilantro leaves

Directions:

Combine the white wine vinegar, white wine and shallots in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Strain out shallot and discard, return liquid to the pan.
                      Stir the wasabi and soy sauce into the reduction in the pan. Over low heat, gradually whisk in butter one cube at a time allowing the mixture to emulsify. Be careful not to let the mixture boil. When all of the butter has been incorporated, stir in cilantro, and remove from heat. Pour into a small bowl, and set aside.

Butterfly five lobster tails.
                      Cook on the grill or smoker at 400° to an internal temp of 130°-135°. About 15 minutes. Baste at the beginning of the cook with the Old Bay butter sauce and every 5 minutes thereafter.

Grill up some top load (New England style buns) brushed with the remaining Old Bay sauce. Toast them all over.

Remove the lobster from the shells and chop into half inch cubes.

Place lobster chunks into toasted bun and drizzle liberally with wasabi butter sauce.

Bon Appetit y’all.

Comment

Now this is light and very addictive. I have no self control when eating this.

* Poke
                        * Amazing and Addictive, my favorite way to eat fresh tuna
                        * 1.5 - 2 lb sashimi grade ahi tuna
                        * ¼ cup shoyu (alternatively you can use soy sauce)
                        * ¼ red onion sliced very thin
                        * ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
                        * 3 green onions also sliced very thin
                        * 1 ½ tsp sesame oil
                        * ½ tsp crush red pepper (I used some from a packet from some pizza takeout! haha)
                        * 1-2 tsp sriracha
                        * sea salt to taste
                        * 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
                        * ¾ - 1 cup cilantro
                        Wonton Crisps:
                        * Pack of wonton skins (I prefer thin)
                        * Coconut oil
                        * Sea salt to taste
                        * Preparation:
                        1. First, we want to prepare the tuna so that it can chill in the fridge. Using a very sharp knife, make smooth, clean cuts to make 1/2″-1″ chunks of tuna. Cover the bowl of diced tuna and place in the fridge.
                        2. Prepare the marinade: Use a paring knife to peel the skin off about 1″ of fresh ginger. Grate ½ tsp of ginger and place aside.
                        * Chop 3 green onions on the bias. Thinly slice ¼ of an onion. Reserve some of the green onion for garnish.
                        * In a bowl, whisk together the shoyu or soy sauce, sesame oil, green onion, red onion, grated ginger, red pepper, and sriracha.
                        4. I like to add ½ of the cilantro into this marinade, since it becomes saturated and very dark once incorporated. I toss the other ½ of the cilantro into the poke later to keep the bright green color. Up to you!
                        6. Take the chilled tuna out of the refrigerator and carefully pour the marinade over the tuna, using a spoon to gently toss the poke. Add in the second ½ of the cilantro and toss to incorporate.
                        7. That’s basically it for the poke! Seriously so easy! Garnish with green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Throw it back in the fridge while you make fresh wonton crisps!!
                        8. For the Wonton Crisps: Take out your desired amount of wrappers and run a knife thru the stack diagonally so that your crisps are triangle-shaped. Prepare a paper bag or stack of paper towels for draining.
                        * In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat about 1″ of coconut oil. To test the oil, run water from the faucet over your hand and spritz the water at the oil. It should start to sizzle and pop. When the oil is ready, drop a few wonton wrapper triangles into the oil. They will fry very quickly - turn them so that they brown evenly.
                        * Promptly remove them from the oil once they are bubbly and brown. Drain them on paper and sprinkle with sea salt while they’re still hot.
                        * Spoon some chilled Poke on a chip and enjoy.

Comment

We use an insta pot for many things. It produces very little heat and is easy to use. It could cook rice, barley, pasta etc then add the cold stuff to salads.
                          Tri colored spiral pasta can be used in a gazpacho salad, Skinner is the brand that had the recipe we started with. It's canned tomatoes, green peppers, celery, oil, and cucumbers. Add garlic a little vinegar, salt and pepper, a tiny amount of sugar plus whatever spice you want. Of course Gazpacho soup is good and both are better served after setting overnight in fridge.
                          Last edited by masonred; 06-29-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Ceviche and poke. Can make poke out of backstrap as well

Comment

I am craving some fresh tuna after reading that recipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X