Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water in gas…gas station pays for repairs!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in gas…gas station pays for repairs!?

Is this a common issue?…the repair part?

Story is:
    last week Thursday during the rainstorm, delivery gas truck driver left cap/lid open after fueling underground tanks and he drove away & water poured in.
    My wife drops by to fill up but was in a hurry & only gets 4 gallons.
    Next day (Friday) her vehicle slow starts but runs. Saturday it won’t start, it has plenty of battery to turn over but just won’t.
    I call my mobile mechanic & he immediately identifies it as a fuel pump problem & also siphons out some gas…sure enough water in the gas.

He says gas stations have insurance for this & that I should go talk with them about Reimbursement for the repair bills.
    I’m doubting they’ll be any help but sure enough we walked in tonight & the inside station attendee was helpful & said others had also come by with issues and they would pay for our repairs….[emoji3]

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Here’s a pic of a crew recovering the tainted fuel from the underground tanks

I would get some sort of paperwork stating the gas station acknowledges there was water in the gas. Just had a coworker with a brand new 2020 silverado Texas edition dually get bad diesel in the middle of Houston. He went back and blew his cool with the store owner, they had the tanks cleaned over night and he’s having a lot of problems getting his repairs paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More common than you think. Most reputable stations will cover repair costs.

Comment

Had it happen years ago, got water in a diesel 1 ton. Station denied I got bad fuel from them and basically told me I must have got the bad fuel somewhere else. They never did anything. If you have one that fesses up and takes responsibility, you are lucky..

Comment

Not a common issue. Filters should have prevented the water from reaching your vehicle. Hope it’s an easy fix.

Comment

Yea, I always get a receipt from the pump just for this reason.

Comment

The vehicle is repaired & running great. Right now I have a call into the station owner out of Houston & we’re playing phone tag

Comment

Hopefully so! They seem pretty sketchy as a whole tho so I bet they try to get out of it.

Comment

Same thing happened to me at a Shell station in Huntsville a few years ago. They took a gas delivery in a downpour and water ran into the tanks. Their policy is no delivery during a rainstorm. The owner told me as much. Myself and several others turned in repair bills. Mine was around $1,200.00. I received a check with no problem.

Comment

They carry insurance for this very thing, Bucky’s in League City had several claims after Harvey and had to pay up. I heard the guys in the outdoor show talking about it last year. I’d press them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Water in the fuel at gas stations is very common. Most gas stations have water in the fuel. The trick is letting it settle and not letting it get pumped into customer's cars. That's why I don't stop at gas stations when there is a tanker there pumping fuel, much higher chance you will get water in your fuel.

Older stations, in areas that flood, typically the lot is not built up to prevent it from flooding. The newer stations, you will notice the parking lots are built up high. That is to keep the lot from flooding. Even if the cap is on the tank and the lot it flooded, it will get a lot more water, than normal in the tank.

The ethanol in the fuel, attracts water, so you don't even need rain to have water in the fuel. Just high humidity and ethanol, in the fuel over a few years and you will have lots of water in the tank. They are supposed to have the water sucked out of the tanks every so often, but some places don't do so. When they don't, then a tanker shows up, it stirs up the water, rust and other crap in the tank. If you are bright enough to be pumping fuel at that time or within a couple hours afterwards, that stuff gets pumped into your tank. It will take a couple hours for the mixture to settle and the garbage to settle back on the bottom.

If the store is owned by a large company, they would be more likely to pay for repairs, if the store is owned by a family from the middle east, I would seriously doubt they would pay for any repairs. If you can get the station to pay for your repairs, that would be great.

I have found many cars over the years, with water and other trash in the tank and fuel filter. That I know of, the car owner never went back and talked to the station about water in the fuel.

I did buy some gasoline a while back, while pumping it, I could smell diesel, I checked to make sure I was pumping 93 octane, the pump was indicating I was pumping 93 octane, but it sure smelt like diesel. I was pumping it into a 5 gallon can.
                      I got back to the shop, opened the top on the can and it smelt like diesel. So I did not say anything and asked a buddy to tell me what he smelt. He right off said, it smelt like diesel. Could not smell any gasoline.
                      So I took it back and pointed out to the guy working there, that I think the tanker driver, that last filled that tank, put diesel in the 93 octane tank. So the went and checked while I was there. They said they could only smell gasoline.

I think the driver started pumping diesel in the wrong tank, then realized what he was doing and shut it off, then put the hose in the correct tank. I am still sure that fuel had lots of diesel in it. Then let me dump the fuel out and pump another 5 gallons, in the can.

Comment

Well end of story is that they did admit to having the water in the gas tanks & issued me a check for full repair reimbursement.
                        They also gave me a $200 Visa prepaid card for my troubles.
                        I dealt with 3-4 different people & they were very nice about things.
                        Glad they’re doing the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                          Well end of story is that they did admit to having the water in the gas tanks & issued me a check for full repair reimbursement.
                          They also gave me a $200 Visa prepaid card for my troubles.
                          I dealt with 3-4 different people & they were very nice about things.
                          Glad they’re doing the right thing
                          Now that is how your supposed to treat your customer. Glad you got it taken care of.

Comment

Water in my diesel about 4-5 years ago.

They paid for the complete fuel system replacement... Was a pretty easy process

Just an FYI, you can claim it on your auto policy, but you will be out your deductible if you have to go that route..

Comment

You should never get water in your fuel from a gas station, Cim Tek make a water block filter. It instantly stops flow when it senses water. We had it happen at one of our stores 2 weeks ago and no customer issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X