No announcement yet.

Beef - Lesser known cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck steaks are pretty common. Hanger steak is known as butchers steak. It’s good.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
      I was hoping it wouldn't get out about those chuck eye steaks, I prefer them over rib eye; and way cheaper too.
      Shhhhhh

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It is what the grocery business calls meat merchandising. I cut meat for 26 years and was a meat market mgr. for 20 years. For the meat industry to be more profitable, they break down and merchandise as many different muscles as they can for a higher retail price. I remember seeing a flat iron steak cooked on the food network at a restaurant in California almost 20 years ago. I cut some the next day and tried selling them for 2.99 lb. and could not give them away. High end restaurants make a lot of these cut popular before they are sold in your local meat market. I imagine most Teres Major muscles will end up pulled off of the clod at the packers and sold mostly to restaurants. There are only 2 small muscles per carcass.

Comment

Tried some Denver steaks a couple of weeks ago. Meh.

Comment

Comment

monte carlo and flat iron are both great and flat iron is on the cheaper side

Comment

I am pretty much a "Beef. It's What's for Dinner" guy, and these posts are giving me some new cuts to try, thanks for posting.

Comment

Chuck eyes & delmonicos. Have made me. Almost give up rib eyes

Comment

We eat a lot of flank steak.
                    Typically sprinkled with Hudson Valley salt from NY and a coarse ground black pepper mix, then wrapped in saran and rested in the fridge over night.. bring to room temp before cooking on a pellet grill
                    Dipping each bite in Graziannos Chimichurri which i order from Miami.
                    Can order the salt from "the spice lab" yes, its that good. Its not sea salt, it is more of a flake.. from deep below seneca lake.

Comment

Definitely going to give these chuck eye and flat iron steaks a shot if heb has them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Love a flat iron steak with a good chimichurri sauce. Great eats and you can serve 4-6 ounces per person keeping it very affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Those are called Flat Iron steaks on beef. The very best steak to come off a steer.
                          Flat iron steaks are a different cut from the teres major, although both come from the chuck or shoulder clod. Teres major is the more tender of the two.

Comment

I had a flat iron steak earlier this year, and it was delicious.

Comment

I love flat irons. Usually have to ask the butcher to cut them for me as he said they don't sell. Very tender steak and get them cheap.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                                Love a flat iron steak with a good chimichurri sauce. Great eats and you can serve 4-6 ounces per person keeping it very affordable.
                                I could just put 8 gallons of fuel in my truck to make it more affordable too, but it won't take me far.

Comment

Working...
                                X