Protesting Property Taxes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protesting Property Taxes!

This is one of the most stressful and important days of my year. Every single year.
    Hours upon hours spent every year researching the assessors evidence, comps, and getting bids for repairs Most often the exact same repairs as last year, but they won’t count bids over 6 months old. Of all the things I despise...

Wish me luck!

Good luck. This whole process sucks as they always place the burden on the home/land owner to justify why our tax appraisals should not go up as much as they assess them at. I fight mine every year and usually get them to back off a little, but they just come back the next year and get them back and add on more. It's like freaking groundhog day. It's sickening.

Comment

Don't protest every year but quite a few times in the 45 yrs I've had it. Always Used the same reason. I'm between 2 major drainage ditches that lead to a bayou about a mile down the road. Floods the place but never had water in the houses.

Comment

anybody have any advise on protesting raw land. appraisal went up 128%. no improvements on land at all.

Comment

Its criminal. I'm retiring and moving to Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            Its criminal. I'm retiring and moving to Florida.
            That's what I did!

Comment

I’ve had enough of it too. They doubled mine a year or two back and there have been no recent improvements. Just received notice that next year’s is increasing even more. I’m in the process of finally putting everything on the market. Texas is where I was born but I’m done.

Comment

I went through this on Friday. We bought our house last August and when we got the new appraisal they had raised the value by $95,000. We have made no improvements. I took pictures, printed the appraised values of comps in my neighborhood, and went in as prepared as I could. First they brought us back to a room with a tax office employee who tried to convince me there was nothing they could do but said I could appeal to the review board. So we sat in a room until they summoned us back to another room made up of 4 volunteers and 4 reps from the tax office. We presented our case, the county presented theirs, and then 3 of the volunteers voted. They voted to reduce our appraisal by $25k which isn't what I was hoping for but better than nothing.

Comment

I have heard the state of Tx is wanting the rural area appraisal districts to bring the rural areas in line with the larger cities. Not good for us in the rural areas without the amenities of the suburbs and cities.

Comment

Appraisal districts are state mandated to have values at 95% to 105% of market value, a lot of CAD’s aren’t in that range on a lot of properties. Unfortunately it’s going to continue going up with the real estate market being the way it is.

Please don’t get too upset with your local CAD office staff, they are only trying to stay in compliance with the State so the school district doesn’t lose funding.

The better news is that the actual tax rate should go down because Counties cannot gross more than 3% year over year. You’ll obviously still be paying more in taxes year over year but it won’t be as much as you might think. New tax rates aren’t set yet so any estimate you may get will be based on last years rate so expect it to be lower than that estimate.

I’m not saying don’t protest. Just keep these things in mind.

Comment

Property tax increase is a wonderful way to gentrify a county. Racist.

Fight racism.
                      Good luck MrBiggs.

Comment

I would call it a success. I shaved $151,000 of taxable value off of my parents and brother’s properties. Roughly $3500 saved this year.

Comment

Working...
                        X