Cemetery headstones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cemetery headstones?

was at one today and seen a few headstones with a$ quarter setting on top whats up with that?

'Pretty sure its a military thing, saying that you visited.

Comment

They were visited by a Veteran that served with them when they died. A dime is they served together in some capacity, a nickle is they went through boot camp together and a penny means the grave was visited by another Veteran.

Comment

Cemetery headstones?

I know, but I’ll defer to the military folks to answer.

Edit: Charles is fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

first time I have heard of that guess I will have to take some pennies next time I go to
          the cemetery and put on about 30 head stones where my dad is buried He is a world war 2 vet I have several uncles there also that are world war vets

Comment

I saw my grandfather leave some change on a few tombstones but never thought to ask why, thanks for the info Charles.

Comment

There are lots of odd things folks put on monuments.

Comment

A buddy of mine said he does it to let the fallen comrade know that “the next beer was on him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tree Phantom View Post
                  There are lots of odd things folks put on monuments.
                  Thats no lie, and the hocus pocus surrounding death is mind boggling.
                  Growing up in the death care industry, I've seen some crazy stuff.
                  One of the best, was a cored out Monument set over the top of a buried urn full of ashes.
                  Why a hollow monument, and extra labor to hollow it out....?
                  Because they were afraid his ashes couldn't get out from under a solid piece of stone when Jesus came back .

Comment

While service the lawn at a cemetery I found Dime Bag Darrell’s grave. On the site there was Crown, Cigarettes, Shot glasses, Roaches, and Marijuana.

Comment

Originally posted by KIETHSTONE View Post
                      While service the lawn at a cemetery I found Dime Bag Darrell’s grave. On the site there was Crown, Cigarettes, Shot glasses, Roaches, and Marijuana.

Yes sir.
                      Poured a couple beers on his grave myself.
                      Dave Williams too, every yr, RIP brother.

Comment

I’d been out to my mom and dads grave one time and found the people whose daughter was buried next to it standing right in the middle of it. They have so much junk on the grave that it’s ridiculous. It looks like a circus with pen wheels, stuffed toys etc etc. and the daughter was a grown woman. Plus if that’s not enough the stuff has been there for years and they keep adding more. Don’t know if that’s protocol or not but I try not to walk across peoples graves out of respect.

Comment

The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military personnel can be traced to as far back as the Roman empire.

A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier’s family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect.

Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited. A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the soldier when he was killed.

Comment

Cemetery headstones?

Originally posted by KIETHSTONE View Post

Was this before Vinnie died ? I think they are side by side . Them guys were talented.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military personnel can be traced to as far back as the Roman empire.

A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier’s family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect.

Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited. A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the soldier when he was killed.
                              this is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X