No announcement yet.

What to buy? 6.5 CRM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts are, if you have been shooting a 30-30 most of your life, I don't see you suddenly going from probably a 150 yard max to a 800-1000 max range for a hunting rifle. I am going to be 300 yards will be a very long shot for you, maybe 400 yards. Just my guess. At those ranges, most bottle neck case, center fire rifles, will work at those ranges. A 6.5 Creedmoor would work great, 308, 30-06, 270, 6.5X55 Swede, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08. You could step up to a magnum caliber, if you thought you would likely shoot farther than I am guessing, even though the first calibers I listed are good for longer ranges than 400 yards. But a magnum caliber will kill better at all ranges, and or if you plan on hunting larger game, a magnum caliber would be a better choice.

Right now, picking a caliber you can find ammo for or bullets, brass, powder and primers for, might be the primary factor, in picking a caliber. Right now 6.5mm bullets are almost impossible to find, if you reload. When I am searching for bullets lately, the majority of the bullets I find are 6mm or 338 caliber.

I would spend some time, thinking about what you want to use the rifle for, then do some reading and figure out what calibers should work good for that purpose. Then search for ammo for the calibers you come up with and then make a decision. The calibers that used to be on all shelves all the time, 30 years ago, are probably not what was commonly on shelves 3 years ago. Right now, the stuff, that was not common 30 years ago, is probably the only thing you will find now days. I find more uncommon caliber ammo, than anything else for the last year. I have seen 300 Savage, 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, and multiple other calibers, I have not seen ammo for in years. Then many older calibers, such as 38-55, and 32-20.

Whatever you do, search for ammo, before making a decision. You might wind up with a gun, you can't get ammo for nor can you load ammo for. Also, I have found dies for many calibers are very hard to find. Some calibers if you find them, they will want a lot for them. I never figured I would ever load 380 ACP, but I have bought most all the pieces to do so. At this point 380 ACP, has been the most expensive caliber for me to get set up to load and I still don't have all the pieces I need. Things are just flat nuts right now. I have found more sets of 300 Weatherby, then for cheaper prices than the 380. I bought some 300 Weatherby dies for $45 shipped, they are some nice RCBS dies. I have seen at least four other sets of 300 Weatherby dies, but the all sold before I found them, that or the guy who had them would not ship them. When looking for 380 dies, if they were $80 or less, they were sold before I found them. I found numerous adds, that listed 380 dies, but they were sold before I found them. The only 380 dies I have found available for sale, either from an individual or a company, were $140 to $180 a set. For a few weeks the only 380 dies I could find in stock were some match dies for $178. Who buys match dies for a 380?
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-29-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Yessir, once you’ve got your timing and heat setup down pat it’ll dang sure work for ya. I started out with that torch and some 750 and 800 degree Tempilac and never really had any issues but man does that AMP make it nice!

OP, get ya a 6.5X284 (Lapua brass) or a 280ai if you wanna go the 7mm route and call it a day.

And, for the record, belted cases are ugly...

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
        so very true, i did that with the 6.5, but nada, now after reading the differences between the 25-06 , 6.5 and 270
        i am looking at the 25-06 as i am not looking for shooting over 280 yards, so i would be good with the 25-06 but as you say the AMMO is the kicker as well
        25-06 is awesome. That TC Venture 308 you posted on in the classifieds will serve you very well too. My wife and youngest son both shoot 308 and we're all fans of it. Kiddo has killed out to 279 yards with his and I wouldn't hesitate to stretch it out more with his setup and experience if needed.

Comment

It's funny if you graphed all the cartridges on this thread in terms of energy, caliber, and recoil, one would be sitting there right in the middle: 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            25-06 is awesome. That TC Venture 308 you posted on in the classifieds will serve you very well too. My wife and youngest son both shoot 308 and we're all fans of it. Kiddo has killed out to 279 yards with his and I wouldn't hesitate to stretch it out more with his setup and experience if needed.
            i am thinking the same thing , as i said before, not looking to get into the Long Range Sport,, under 300 is fine

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              It's funny if you graphed all the cartridges on this thread in terms of energy, caliber, and recoil, one would be sitting there right in the middle: 6.5 Creedmoor.

Here's what you need to know about the pros and cons of the 25-06 vs 6.5 Creedmoor vs 270 Win so you can make an informed decision. The better choice is

This is what I used to figure out that I could be content with the 25-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

25-06 is certainly a good one for those that may be recoil sensitive. One of the most gentle of the long action calibers. Might even be considered one dem girly man calibers
                It will get the job done especially on varmints.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                  https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/25...edmoor-vs-270/

This is what I used to figure out that I could be content with the 25-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I did not notice on this ammo shortage because I did not have to shop a lot this time around, but I did notice that 25-06 was available during the last ammo shortage. Getting the job done with less recoil is a positive not a negative.
                  It is not the cartridge I would have selected as I prefer short action in that performance range but I know several good hunters that use it. I have been reducing cartridges I keep this year and kept 7mm-08 in that range mainly because I have a rifle in that cartridge I really like.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                    Just say screw it and get a 6.5-300
                    Very good choice

Comment

I was in your same boat. Did, and still do, hunt with 30-30, but I bought a 6.5 CM last year mainly for the threaded barrel. The 6.5 will kill them close or far away.
                      Moderate recoil, long lasting barrel, super accurate, and pushing about the same weight bullet as the 30-30.

Comment

.280 Rem.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                          I’d go with the plain ol 308. Ammo is still fairly easy to find if you look hard enough. If you’ve been killing stuff just fine with the 30/30 then i would imagine the 308 will get you out as far as you’re comfortable shooting

Yep. More and more I grab my ole plain vanilla 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

7mm08
                            30-06
                            270 win
                            280 remington
                            25-06

all great rounds an capable of reaching out a lot farther than most folks should be shooting

Comment

There's been a lot of 270 WSM availability, I need to review the ballistics.
                              I have a 270 and 6.5. Love both, both kill anything in Texas.
                              The 6.5 shoots like a 22 suppressed, plan to get the 270 barrel threaded.
                              I like the 6.5 CR because ammo availablity. I know I can get more out of the 6.8 or the PRC but its good enough and the ammo is nice and plentiful.

Comment

Entertainment bump

Comment

Working...
                                X