Anyone else like ALDI grocery stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
    I like them, don’t love them, here’s my take. The place feels like the dollar store, but they don’t screw around with the value of items like the dollar store does. I’ll use Oreos as the example: you can buy Oreos at the dollar store, but it’s a smaller package, and the actual value is less, you pay more per cookie going to the dollar store over say HEB or Kroger. It’s a difference or a few cents, or even fractions of a cent, but it can add up quickly if you shop there a lot. Aldi’s doesn’t do that, they have the same size package as HEB or Kroger, at a comparable price, but where they lose out is in variety. HEB or Kroger has Oreos, double-Stuf, Thin-mint Oreos, pumpkin spice Oreos, watermelon Oreos, the list goes on. Aldi’s has just regular Oreos. It’s kinda like that through-out the store.

Great on value, not the best for variety.

I will say their Winking Owl wines were shockingly good for the price. At $3 a bottle I expected it to taste full of preservatives like Barefoot or Yellow Tail, but they were perfectly drinkable, and really made me kinda look sideways at the $9-$12 price-range bottles I’ve been drinking.
    You know a lot about Oreos and cheap wine

Comment

You do know that Alldi contracts out food manufacturers to make the exact same product, cheez it's for example, with Aldi labeling for a cheaper price. Same product, different box, less money. I shop there for mostly staples and get meats elsewhere. Just more variety.

Comment

i can take it or leave it. if aldi was closer to my house than heb, id shop there.

Comment

I walked in with no change in my pocket and could not get a cart. I grabbed a few things and realized i needed to provide my own bags. I have not been back.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
            I walked in with no change in my pocket and could not get a cart. I grabbed a few things and realized i needed to provide my own bags. I have not been back.
            Never been. Do you buy bags there or just bring what you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
              You can buy paper sack for 5-10 cents there. I carry a insulated bag as my cart and carryout bag. I don't buy much packaged stuff except their nut and dried fruit. They have some good off the beaten path local beers as well. I much prefer Aldi's pork ribs, fruit, and veggies over Walmart, Kroger, Or Brookshire's which are the only main grocery stores Paris.

Comment

It is an interesting business model for the industry. As I recall they have a limited selection, not that you couldn't fill you typical grocery needs but if you want canned regular cut green beans you may have only a few choices where at other stores you may have 5-10 choices. So you could get green beans but maybe not a specific brand that you are looking for. Also, I believe the brands they do have available may change as they are a price operator and will carry the brand they get the best deals on. Today they may have Sunshine and Libby's but on your next trip they may offer DelMonte and Green Giant for example. Not a big deal to some but for the brand conscious it may not be a good fit.

Comment

I went when it first opened and at that time you could not or maybe it was cloth bags...Definitely not paper or plastic. It sounds if things changed for the better and you can purchase them now.
                  I will stick with the regular grocery stores myself.
                  I cannot stand grocery shopping anyways and for 7-8$ they will do it and deliver it. Money well spent in my opinion.

Comment

There's one opening soon here in Georgetown. I'll give it a chance. With Costco opening soon and several HEB's nearby, not sure how they'll survive.

Comment

I always thought it was a skinny jean hipster gluten free type store. Not sure why I had that impression but I did. I don't ever do the grocery shopping so I don't know the difference from one store to the next as far as selection or prices. The shopping cart thing and bagging your own groceries seems a little different. I like the idea of a teenager making minimum wage being employed to sack groceries.

Comment

I have seen one in Austin and saw several traveling through the Midwest recently. I just assumed it was some liberal hipster joint too. Lol.

HEB dominates all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bring your own bags or buy them. I always just grab an empty box for grocery’s.

Comment

I just grab some empty boxes and use them. They always have empty boxes to use.

Edit just saw the post above mine^

Oh, and the same group owns Trader Joe’s.

Comment

Aldi sucks big time.

Comment

Think of it as a tiny Food Town but have to bag your own. They do carry a couple of top quality items in generic packaging. Cheap prices due to the low overhead model.
                                If you're just going in for basics it's great. If I had one closer I would go more often.

Comment

Working...
                                X