No announcement yet.

Surfside Beach Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going to head down in the morning and try for some trout. I’ll be solo if anyone wants to join me.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      I’m going to head down in the morning and try for some trout. I’ll be solo if anyone wants to join me.
      Wish I could. Haven't made it back since that day we fished last year. Lifes hard sometimes! Give em He**

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
        TBH bonfire?
        Yes that would be a good time

Comment

We are getting to Surfside Sunday afternoon and staying until Wednesday morning. The house we rented is right at the north end of all the houses on the beach.

If anyone is going to be down there we would love to hook up so you can show us how to fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I went to nearly the same exact spot you were and just walked out to the beach and fished. Had a blast... caught 1 whiting and 3 catfish. I had never done this before and took advice also... I used fishbites on a hi/lo rig... My biggest issue was when I would cast, about 50% of the time my 3 oz pyramid weight would snap the line. I learned that I needed a shock leader of about 20 lbs per oz - so a 60 lbs test shock leader roughly 2.5x the length of the rod (25 ft)... This would have helped me out tremendously...

With that said, when I went looking for 60 lbs test after the first day, locals were telling me I was doing it all wrong and hi/lo was not the way to go. They said I should have been using a tear drop weight. This allowed the current to manhandle my bait and everything ended up going sideways. It did not make for a pleasurable day of fishing. If I could do it again, I would have gone with the shock leader and hi/lo set up... GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              So I went to nearly the same exact spot you were and just walked out to the beach and fished. Had a blast... caught 1 whiting and 3 catfish. I had never done this before and took advice also... I used fishbites on a hi/lo rig... My biggest issue was when I would cast, about 50% of the time my 3 oz pyramid weight would snap the line. I learned that I needed a shock leader of about 20 lbs per oz - so a 60 lbs test shock leader roughly 2.5x the length of the rod (25 ft)... This would have helped me out tremendously...

With that said, when I went looking for 60 lbs test after the first day, locals were telling me I was doing it all wrong and hi/lo was not the way to go. They said I should have been using a tear drop weight. This allowed the current to manhandle my bait and everything ended up going sideways. It did not make for a pleasurable day of fishing. If I could do it again, I would have gone with the shock leader and hi/lo set up... GOOD LUCK!

If we go out there fishing and catch 4 I’m going to be pizz’d.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                If we go out there fishing and catch 4 I’m going to be pizz’d.

Haha. It was a family trip... I got about 4 hours total to fish 2 days, and half that I felt like I wasn't doing it right. The fishbites on a hi/lo rig with a 3 oz pyramid i felt was the way to go. Wish I had more time to go out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

You just need to learn to cast. I fish 20-30# braid on my surf set ups, and never use a shock leader, even throwing 4-6oz weights.

To the guy getting there Sunday, just bad luck on the timing, the surf is going to be big this week. You will need big weights to keep a bait pinned. I’m not really a surf fishing guru, but I just avoid it all together when it’s rough and the current is going. I’m not real sure exactly where you’re at, as houses run pretty much all the way to San Luis Pass, with a few open spaces in between. Your best bet just to get some pulls, is to go buy some single dropper leaders, small hooks and a 2oz weight, and a pound of dead shrimp. Go to the pass and cast as far as you can. Don’t get in the water. Or something on the bay side. You can try the surf but it’s going to be rough, muddy and just a pain to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    You just need to learn to cast. I fish 20-30# braid on my surf set ups, and never use a shock leader, even throwing 4-6oz weights.

To the guy getting there Sunday, just bad luck on the timing, the surf is going to be big this week. You will need big weights to keep a bait pinned. I’m not really a surf fishing guru, but I just avoid it all together when it’s rough and the current is going. I’m not real sure exactly where you’re at, as houses run pretty much all the way to San Luis Pass, with a few open spaces in between. Your best bet just to get some pulls, is to go buy some single dropper leaders, small hooks and a 2oz weight, and a pound of dead shrimp. Go to the pass and cast as far as you can. Don’t get in the water. Or something on the bay side. You can try the surf but it’s going to be rough, muddy and just a pain to fish.

We are going to be 3.6 miles north of the jetty at Surfside park. This will be my 5th trip to coast to go fishing. It has sucked every time I’ve gone. Sounds like this is going to be #6.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      We are going to be 3.6 miles north of the jetty at Surfside park. This will be my 5th trip to coast to go fishing. It has sucked every time I’ve gone. Sounds like this is going to be #6.

That storm is biting you this time. Hard to get good days for the surf. You definitely need to go fish the jetty though.

Comment

Yep. You’re close to the jetties, just go out and put some shrimp on the bottom. You will catch something.

Comment

I’m headed that way right now. Dad wants to go fishing for Father’s Day.

Well probably hit the river and try for Blues or Yellows. Might get in the old river behind a buddies house.

Surf is going to be blown out.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                            I’m headed that way right now. Dad wants to go fishing for Father’s Day.

Well probably hit the river and try for Blues or Yellows. Might get in the old river behind a buddies house.

Surf is going to be blown out.

Good luck
                            How far up do you go for the yellows? Ive caught blues at the mouth of the brazos by the tons...but never a yellow?

Comment

Working...
                            X