Tell me about this Sika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about this Sika

This guy showed up on camera about a week ago and is a regular. We don’t have an established sika herd, but have had a few pass thru in the past. I know nothing about them. Is this a shooter? Is he old? Would this be the size people mount or is this a baby?
    Attached Files

He's young

Comment

Hes young. He has atleast 2 more sets to drop. They don't get huge, but they do get alotbigger than that. He's a fatty tho.

Comment

Lol. We have an established sika herd and wish that we didn’t. They are a hog with antlers...

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
          Lol. We have an established sika herd and wish that we didn’t. They are a hog with antlers...
          You know, TBOT is looking for a place to offer a youth hunt. That might be a rewarding way to thin some of them out.

Comment

Dang I thought that was an axis!

Comment

Pretty coat on that one. Most of the ones I've come across are dark brown to almost black with longer hair. Especially around their neck & chest.

Comment

Hard to tell if that is a dybowski or jap. The dybowski get bigger in body and horn size and are more desired than the Japanese sika

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                  Pretty coat on that one. Most of the ones I've come across are dark brown to almost black with longer hair. Especially around their neck & chest.
                  Those are different sub-species.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                    You know, TBOT is looking for a place to offer a youth hunt. That might be a rewarding way to thin some of them out.
                    Already host TYHP, but thanks for the suggestion

Comment

I’d be happy to help you with that problem. Sika meat is fantastic

Comment

He's young. When he gets mature he will have long mane hair on his neck all the way to his shoulders. BTW this one looks like the sikas we saw in Vietnam up on the Laos border. Was rare to ever see them over there but then we were in places lots of humans never much ventured. Saw a mature buck once that had a mane that was almost black. At first I thought it was some sort of elk but half the size.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          He's young. When he gets mature he will have long mane hair on his neck all the way to his shoulders. BTW this one looks like the sikas we saw in Vietnam up on the Laos border. Was rare to ever see them over there but then we were in places lots of humans never much ventured. Saw a mature buck once that had a mane that was almost black. At first I thought it was some sort of elk but half the size.
                          That's pretty much exactly what it is.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Already host TYHP, but thanks for the suggestion
                              Good on you. I've never put any of my kids in on those hunts because we have a place to shoot deer and because they were always determined to hunt with a bow. Please post pics from your hunt so people can see what a great program it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X