Another Texas Stolen Valor Scammer Pleads Guilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Texas Stolen Valor Scammer Pleads Guilty

"TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - A Tyler man has pleaded guilty to federal charges after claiming to be a war hero.

Derek Robert Hamm, 38, pleaded guilty to wire fraud, money laundering, violating the Stolen Valor Act, using a fraudulent military discharge certificate, and being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition. The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 makes it illegal to fraudulently wear medals, embellish rank, or make false claims of military service to obtain money, employment, property, or some other tangible benefit. As part of the plea agreement, Hamm agreed to pay restitution of at least $2.3 million and forfeiture of the proceeds of his criminal conduct, including jewelry, automobiles and cash proceeds in the amount of $1,675,000."

What a crap bag. The nerve of some people. It blows my mind. It really does.

I don't know how some people sleep at night. It takes a special breed of jerk to live a lie and be okay with it.
    Last edited by okrattler; 06-26-2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

No words to describe such low-life’s.

Comment

It’s really remarkable the extent to which he went to build his false persona - that’s a lot of work and it must have been quite convincing. When I read about con men with elaborate schemes I always wonder what they think their end game is going to be. (If they thought about it at all) Do they plan to scam a certain amount then disappear or do they think they can get away with it forever? These stolen valor guys always seem to get caught because eventually they say something around a real veteran that makes the needle on their BS meter start twitching. May just be a common term used improperly or a timeline that doesn’t quite add up.

Comment

What is wrong with some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
            What is wrong with some people.
            They are sorryazz people, and we have many more than just this kind.

Comment

Now this POS gets to vacation in a Federal facility for a few years ( won’t be 20 ) instead of getting his real punishment by being stoned by real Veterans.

Comment

I am so ever thankful to the legals, prosecutors, and judges who do the right thing in these cases--and they do it for the right reason!

Comment

How in the heck did he scam that much money ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    How in the heck did he scam that much money ?
                    By claiming to be a war hero…..

Realistically, who really checks credentials when speaking with or donating to someone? My father used to wear a baseball cap that said something like, veteran: 5th RCT Korea

I am sure that many people thanked him for his service or made comments about it. He probably could’ve asked for donations for some cause. Who is going to stop him and ask to see his DD214 and then check to see if it’s official? If you are soliciting big time funds then eventually it will come out like it did for this guy.

I believe that the an overwhelming majority of the public truly respects people who have served. When they see somebody that identifies himself as a veteran or is wearing clothing it makes it appear so, people are appreciative I don’t go into a detective mode when they say thank you.

What might be most sickening in my opinion is that such people are playing on the goodheartedness of the public toward veterans.

Comment

On a sidenote, in the article in the OP they mentioned the US Attorney in the Eastern District of Texas, Brit Featherston who prosecuted the case.

He was one of my police field training officer 39 years ago. He worked for a few years as patrol officer and FTO and then went to detectives. He finished law school and then work his way up to a US Attorney. Unlike probably a majority of federal prosecutors, he actually has several years on the streets as a police officer.

Comment

Glad they smoked him!!! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji1659][emoji122][emoji122]Sad that veterans from my dad's era still can't get full benefits without hiring outside assistance.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

There are some Awful people in this world!

Comment

One down. Great! How many more are out there?

Comment

Glad he got caught. He musta been a veteran of the "TDC", being a felon in possession of firearms. That alone aught to add a few more years to his rank TDC rank.

Comment

Working...
                              X