Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
    Best of luck [emoji1696]! Hope to see some other TBH guys again.

Yes sir, I expect to see ya and some others on some hunts hopefully! I’m really hoping for Laguna- it’s been since 2020 since I’ve been and I can’t wait to go again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
      Id be all for application fees going to a minimum $10, I could easily support $12-$15 per applicant. And put the cap of only 1 application per category back in place.

I doubt this will ever happen...

I think they probably make WAAAY more money with the current setup of unlimited apps per category. And let's not kid, it's all about revenue.

Not saying I wouldn't be for it but I can't see it ever happening.
      What I would be for is higher app fees for non residents and maybe making it where they have to buy a license to even apply. It seems like a no brainer to me. It would generate more money for the state and maybe increase odds for resident hunters who are likely going to already be licensed in the first place. I've looked at other states and that seems to be the norm. Louisiana, OK, Etc.

Comment

I would be careful about asking TPWD to restrict or charge more for nonresident applicants. We could end up with a nonresident quota which would mean a percentage of tags are not available for residents. I think it's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I would much rather have a random chance at 100% of the tags.

We're not like the western states with significantly less population that need a quota to provide opportunity for resident hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
          On the cubed scenario, calculated odds based off of everyone’s cubed, just like it would be in real life.
          Curious, did you just base it off of an average number of cubed points or am I missing something? How would you know what amount of cubed points people have?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
            Curious, did you just base it off of an average number of cubed points or am I missing something? How would you know what amount of cubed points people have?
            Based of off of an assumption that the average for everyone who applied is 5. Just a guess, felt like it’d be the sweet spot considering everything I’ve read. Obviously you’d have to have the raw data file from TPWD to calculate true averages but we all know that’s not gonna happen

Comment

You would also need to know average group size to estimate draw odds. TPWD gives the number of people that apply for available permits. About all those numbers are good for is showing that some hunts are harder to draw than others.

If 5000 people apply for a hunt that allows groups, then the actual number of applications for the hunt would be less than 5000.

Then you would need the raw data to statistically weight the loyalty points for each application to get an accurate estimate of odds. It would be a pretty fancy math problem. I believe toprut does that with western states drawing odds.

Comment

This is all just part of what makes this all so fun! It's like gambling almost!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                  This is all just part of what makes this all so fun! It's like gambling almost!
                  At least if I buy scratch offs they throw me a bone every now and then and I win something.

Comment

Y’all are looking way too much into this. Put in your applications, sit back, and relax. It shouldn’t be this stressful. You either get picked or you don’t.

Only thing I agree with is make it more expensive for non-res to apply, but don’t start putting aside certain allotment of tags away for them because that takes away from what Texas Residents can win

All of my “success” emails should be coming in anytime now.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                      Y’all are looking way too much into this. Put in your applications, sit back, and relax. It shouldn’t be this stressful. You either get picked or you don’t.

All of my “success” emails should be coming in anytime now.
                      That’s about the same amount of stress I got into it. I like knowing how it all works and so on, but for me this early on I sorta just feel like I’m paying my dues and there’s not much I can do until I accumulate some LP’s

Comment

Cant wait for tomorrow!

Comment

In for Archery deer at choke canyon, you never know! I told my wife that draw morning is like Christmas morning, but you never get any presents.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                            Just curious, what do you consider a lot of points on these draws. I use to think 4 was a lot but know I realize that people have up to 20 points in some categories. I still feel that anything over 10 points is a lot. Either people are getting drawn or they give up.

Who has over 10? Is it everyone but me? (I'm at 7 in most categories)
                            I have 18 in one category, and 14 in many more.

Comment

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Put in a few applications on archery hunts. Put in for everything I could on antelope. Don't get me wrong an archery hunt would be pretty cool but I'd really love to draw an antelope tag.

Comment

For the guys with double digit loyalty points, have y’all always just applied for the tough to draw primo locations from the start? I mean it makes sense after so many years to
                                Just shoot for those places so not To waste the points on a less desirable hunt. But to get that high in points and not be drawing anything ... dang. I would think even the desirable hunts would be easy lit attainable with that many points cubed

Comment

Working...
                                X