10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Hey y’all, it's time to crack open the 2022-2023 Panhandle Hunting Thread! It's hard to imagine we've been going at this for TEN years now! We've had some great threads in years' past, and I'm certain this one will be no exception. Most of the state has had little rain, but the deer appear to be healthy overall, and I'm sure we've got a great season in store.

Please post all your Panhandle hunting observations, successes, pics, whatever. The season is just around the corner and preparations are well under way. This thread welcomes all manner of legal means and methods. Just be safe!

And as always, this is not a management thread. If you have concerns about what a hunter shoots, etc., take it to another thread. That’s not the discussion here.

Let's just keep this thread about soaking up the great outdoors, enjoying time with family and friends, and counting our everlasting blessings. Of course, LDPs are always welcome, if not mandatory.

Best of luck to all the Panhandle Boys and Girls this season! Here's to a safe and successful year! Godspeed and safety to all!

Sincerely,
    Kyle

We need rain!lol in a bad bad way!

Deer are looking pretty good for the conditions. We've had some bucks get bigger this year and have seen alotnof kickers extras ect. A few have stayed the same and some have fell off most of our good deer have showed back up but still waiting on a few others. So ready gor cooler Temps and season to start!

Comment

What fawn numbers are you seeing. I am am 20% right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        What fawn numbers are you seeing. I am am 20% right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I'm right at about three doe families (about 12-15 deer) living on my place (240 acres) and out of that, I've seen a single fawn, a pair of twins, and even a set of triplets. I think they're all from mature does as I don't think any of our yearling does were bred last year or fawned this summer. Definitely interesting observations for sure. Not great fawn recruitment IMHO, but not terrible either.

Edit to add that it's been a while since I've seen any muleys, but I also don't have a camera overwatching their usual areas either.

Comment

Thanks for starting this Kyle!

I always enjoy seeing this thread. The family ranch is a few miles south of Canadian, and we've got good news and bad news. The good news is that our area has been really fortunate in regards to rainfall as compared to most of Texas. More good news for our place is that we are close by an active feed lot and the deer have access to all sorts of goodies and nutrition.

The short term bad news is that the place burned in late March reducing the cover. I don't think the fire had a major impact on deer numbers as they could have run a mile or so in just about any direction and been safe. But I'm guessing our deer have been somewhat displaced and have fewer bedding options on our place so our sightings will likely be down for the next few years.

Nevertheless, I feel extremely thankful and blessed to be able to hunt (for free, no less) in the Texas Panhandle!

Comment

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
            Thanks for starting this Kyle!

I always enjoy seeing this thread. The family ranch is a few miles south of Canadian, and we've got good news and bad news. The good news is that our area has been really fortunate in regards to rainfall as compared to most of Texas. More good news for our place is that we are close by an active feed lot and the deer have access to all sorts of goodies and nutrition.

The short term bad news is that the place burned in late March reducing the cover. I don't think the fire had a major impact on deer numbers as they could have run a mile or so in just about any direction and been safe. But I'm guessing our deer have been somewhat displaced and have fewer bedding options on our place so our sightings will likely be down for the next few years.

Nevertheless, I feel extremely thankful and blessed to be able to hunt (for free, no less) in the Texas Panhandle!
            Yessir!

On the bright side too is that the fire likely caused/will cause a vegetation explosion, especially with the rain. We had a fire about 6 or 7 years ago that took out a bunch of our cottonwoods, but man those roots boomed and along with some other brush, it's crazy thick now. Good luck, sir.

Comment

We haven't seen a ton of fawns but almost all of our cameras are in feed pens. Next time I'm up gona be checking the ones on the water. We had a ton of fat bred does that look pretty drawn down now.

Comment

I’m in! I’m running behind, which seems to be normal for me any more. Kids sports have my time pretty limited but it will be a great season no matter what. Look forward to seeing how everyone’s season goes.

Comment

I’m in. Like everyone else we are super dry. We just set up water stations for the wildlife and they are getting crushed. I am certain we are holding some of the neighbors deer right now due to access to water, food and cover.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                    I’m in. Like everyone else we are super dry. We just set up water stations for the wildlife and they are getting crushed. I am certain we are holding some of the neighbors deer right now due to access to water, food and cover.
                    We are definitely holding more deer than usual due to us having plenty of water I'm guessing. 9 different bucks in the feed pen last night

Comment

Good luck to you guys in the Panhandle this year. I gave my spot up in Kent County this year due to having 2 lease within walking distance from my house plus the deer in my yard! We are dry too so not sure what to expect!

Comment

Great to see familiar and new folks checking in! TTT

Comment

In. Beyond dry. Poor range conditions.

Comment

Ttt.

Comment

We lost our lease in Shamrock this year. I had to leave Fort Hood at 1600 and drive all the way up to retrieve my box blind, feeder, and cameras, and then immediately turn around for the long drive home. Got home at 0345. I am going to miss it

Comment

Working...
                              X