Prickly Pear Fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prickly Pear Fruit

I want to pick some prickly pear fruit for wine and jelly. I know they’re normally ripe August through September or so. They’ve pretty well been eradicated around me, but I have a couple of people who said I can pick what they have., but it’s a little bit of a drive for me. Wanted to check with any of you that have a lot of cactus on your property or lease. Are the pears ripe yet? Wanted to know before I made the drive. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

about 50% in SW Archer county

Comment

I wish they had been eradicated around me. :-). Then again, it is likely all the deer have to eat this year. Well, that and mesquite beans.

Comment

Besides the drought possibly hurting pear fruit growth, are folks seeing deer and other critters hitting the fruit any harder this summer?

Comment

Yes, they are close to ripe but it is so dry, even the cactus is looking bad. Deer are hitting them hard now. They have been eating pear on my place for months. I picked some last year. Ruined a good pair of gloves and still got lots of thorns in me. Doubt I do that again. The fruit is called "tuna".

Comment

We always pick them around Labor Day, give or take a weekend. Seems like later than that and the bugs have gotten into them pretty good, at least on our place.

Comment

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...tus+tuna+fruit

old thread, but good info

Comment

Prickly Pear Fruit

Thank y’all, I figured the drought had slowed them down some as well. I normally call them tunas, but when I asked if anyone had seen any prickly pear tunas on Facebook I got too many questions. Thanks for the response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X