No announcement yet.

Seized motor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did your son say it was running when he cut the key off?

Comment

Like others have said, oil up the top of the cylinder. Wait a bit, if it won’t turn, I’ve taken a flat punch through the spark plug hole and give it a decent tap with a hammer. Then try rolling it again. If it’s still locked up, you for sure need to teach the young man if he’s old enough to drive it, he’s surely old enough to check the oil. My daughter learned by 7.

Comment

I had the same problem in a 23hp briggs. I replace the engine and was fixing to throw the old one in the scrap pile when I noticed the Bendix on the starter was crooked. Turns out the little snap ring that held the bendix came off and the bendix bound up in the flywheel locking up the motor. Now I have a extra motor.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          I'd do a Google repair video.
          And have some fun with it. Maybe it can be rebuilt...
          If it's trashed.. And has to be replaced. At least, ya learned a few new things..
          What have ya got to lose ????
          Boom!

Comment

I’m going to pull the plug and put some penetrating oil in there to see what I can do. New motors are around $1200. Yikes. Still cheaper than a new mower. I’d love to get mad at the kid but I mow 50 percent of the time. I’m afraid I’m about to pay a “stupid tax”

Comment

I had the same thing on a 31hp Kawi. It ended up being the starter. Try tapping the starter while turning the key.

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
                I’m going to pull the plug and put some penetrating oil in there to see what I can do. New motors are around $1200. Yikes. Still cheaper than a new mower. I’d love to get mad at the kid but I mow 50 percent of the time. I’m afraid I’m about to pay a “stupid tax”
                Good luck fixing it, but take it easy on him. Operator error also goes for “dads” if you haven’t taught your kids to check and maintain equipment . If it was only used a couple times since you checked the oil last, it shouldn’t have burned through enough to seize it unless there was a major issue. It would have been smoking like a son of a gun to burn through that much oil or leaving a big puddle on the ground.

Comment

Did you check the starter? Loosen the bolts on the starter then see if the flywheel will turn by hand.

Comment

Starter is confirmed good, pull plugs an fill up cylinders and crankcase with marvels misery oil. Let sit a few days. Then see if it will turn over and blow out the oil from the cylinder. If not, crank is probably trashed.

Comment

I bet it's not frozen up.if it was running when he hit through mowing, no reason it wouldn't at least grunt abd turn now.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        you could possibly even put a little oil directly into the cylinder while the plug is out. if you can break it free and it still has compression then it should run
                        this! dont replace it until you KNOW. ive had luck putting oil in cylinders, give it an hour then spin the engine-- esp if you can get a big wrench or breaking bar on the shaft to turn it.. if you get it freed up drain all the old oil out and flush with some diesel, then change the filter and put new oil.. could be back in bidness.

Comment

I would try using a little Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinder and let it sit for a little bit. Then put a little more if it takes it and put it in gear and try rocking it to get the piston to move.

For the year it is and if nothing has shot out the case, you would get off cheaper rebuilding it.

J

Comment

I"m going to try the Marvel's Mystery oil. The mower was running fine last week when my son used it. Mowed 2 acres and shut it down. Blew off the driveway and the mower then started it back up and put it in the shop. He said there was no smoke, no strange sound but he did say it was lacking power when he was going up a small incline. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

Comment

Check the battery voltage.
                              I've been mowing with mine this morning. Stopped to get a drink, and now won't start. Just 'click'. Voltage showed 11.8 V. Got it on charge right now.

Comment

Must be nice to have something to mow.

Comment

Working...
                                X