Texas Draw Hunts question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Draw Hunts question.

How many preference points did you have before you got drawn? I have over 8/9 in several categories and I have yet to get drawn on 1st draw, or 2nd draw, in any category. Might start putting my son in for the youth draws just to get us more opportunities. Thanks, Matt

Its really random. I drew a GDA my first year applying, drew Garner Exotic with 3 and 4 points, took me 10 points to draw GDE, and then another 9 to draw GDA again. I've never been selected on a second draw.

Good idea to include your son. I do the same, even though he most likely wont be able to go if he's selected in the next year or two because of his high school football and basketball schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
      Its really random. I drew a GDA my first year applying, drew Garner Exotic with 3 and 4 points, took me 10 points to draw GDE, and then another 9 to draw GDA again. I've never been selected on a second draw.

Good idea to include your son. I do the same, even though he most likely wont be able to go if he's selected in the next year or two because of his high school football and basketball schedules.
      If he won't be able to make the hunt don't put him on the card. If he gets drawn he loses his points whether he goes or not.

Comment

All depends on the areas you pick, luck etc. I have drawn with no points in some areas. The areas I pick the highest points I have had was 6 before I drew.

Comment

Been putting in for many years, like above, it’s kinda random. Been selected several times with just 2-3 points, most with 10+. I’ve got 15 or so in several categories, due to hit on several this season. Third year putting in my son and another kiddo, they haven’t drawn yet.

Comment

I’ve only drawn 1. Garner. With 3-4 points. I’ve got 8-9 points in several categories. Our draw system sucks lol

Comment

Before the new system of cubing the points. I started putting in with my mom. She was probably 70 at the time. It took 8 years to draw an antlerless hunt. We went standby the next year- and they pulled our card out of about 15 others. Then we drew on the second chance the year following.

I’d love to see some data if the impact of cubing loyalty points. Very poor odds with the # applicants per draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On pronghorn I have over 17 but lots of applicants and few permits.

Comment

I drew Archery deer at the Chap with just 2 and on that same card, I added 2 other guys and that was their first time ever to apply. That was almost 4 years ago.
                  Under the old system, I could draw a hunt about every 3 or 4 years.
                  When I put my son in for youth hunts, he drew a hunt 5 years straight.
                  Last hunt I drew was gun deer management at James Daughtrey a couple years back. I believe me and my brother had 9 or 10 points.
                  It’s all luck in the draw.

Comment

You can put your son on your adult hunts as well. He'll build up preference points & maybe y'all can go on a hunt together. That is what I have done with my youngest son. We have over 15 points in GDE, but both Chap and powderhorn hunts are during his college finals week. Not sure what I will do this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                      How many preference points did you have before you got drawn? I have over 8/9 in several categories and I have yet to get drawn on 1st draw, or 2nd draw, in any category. Might start putting my son in for the youth draws just to get us more opportunities. Thanks, Matt
                      I drew one hunt my second year applying (gun deer management). Have not drawn since and like you I'm at 8 or 9 points in most categories.

You should definitely put your son in for the youth hunts. My son has been really successful in drawing those. Maybe it's his good luck but either way you should check it out. Also check out TYHP for your son. Solid program.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        You can put your son on your adult hunts as well. He'll build up preference points & maybe y'all can go on a hunt together. That is what I have done with my youngest son. We have over 15 points in GDE, but both Chap and powderhorn hunts are during his college finals week. Not sure what I will do this year.
                        I agree on doing this as well. Put him in on at least one hunt per category to start building points.

Comment

What is cubing?

I’ve been on a couple. Both were fantastic hunts. Totally random draw as far as I can tell.

Comment

If you want to take your kid on a hunt, go standby at the youth hunts

We used to draw something every year.
                            I have 15 or so points for pronghorn and doubt I live long enough to draw one of those

Comment

I made my annual donation. Haven't ever drawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X