Question for the cattle folks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the cattle folks.

It's being reported that 10,000 cattle in Kansas have died due to the suspected heat wave.

Are the cattle to our north really more susceptible to 100 degree heat vs here??

They shouldn't be but we have men saying they are women. So who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      It's being reported that 10,000 cattle in Kansas have died due to the suspected heat wave.

Are the cattle to our north really more susceptible to 100 degree heat vs here??
      I've been to Kansas several times during the summer months, and it gets just as hot there as it does here.
      Not like Kansas cows have never been in 100+ degree heat.
      Not sure how hot it is in Kansas right now, but it must be cooking if it's more than a cow can take.
      Possibly they shipped them in to a feed lot from further up North and it shocked em...?

Comment

It’s basically the feed lots, jaming to many cattle in a confined area with no ventilation
        They need space and air movement to cool down in 100* heat
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-16-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Long hair or black angus suffer heat more than a white brahma. the rancher suffers when be sells the long ears at the sale, its a vicious cycle

Comment

They are trying to process at max capacity in the feed lots, but cattle can't cool off enough when packed into tight feedlots at 105 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
              Long hair or black angus suffer heat more than a white brahma. the rancher suffers when be sells the long ears at the sale, its a vicious cycle
              Black baldy seem to catch the $ over other cross’s ?

Comment

Here is an explanation of things from a vet that works with the feedyards in SW KS.

We had a natural disaster in Southwest Kansas on June 11th, 2022 and in the days that followed that greatly affected cattle being fed for slaughter. It wasn’t a tornado or a flood or government conspiracy to dismantle our food supply. There’s no mysterious disease or theory, we know exactly what happened.

It’s called a heat index crisis. Prior to this day, our average high temperatures were very mild, the night temperatures were very cool, the wind was normal and we were receiving rain showers that we so desperately needed!

On June 11th, temperatures rose, humidity was high, and wind speed nearly ceased. This is an emergency for cattle. Cattle can not compensate for this type of weather event if they do not get a period of night cooling. For several days this continued. Our people did everything in their power to save as many animals as they could. Our people are amazing and tired and weary. We lost a lot of cattle and we are physically affected by each loss because we know first hand the resources and expertise that goes into raising safe, wholesome and delicious beef for our consumers.

This weather event geographically centered in Haskell County and Grant County Kansas. This is cattle feeding country. We are typically subject to a climate that is superior for raising cattle for slaughter.

There’s a video making rounds with misinformation and I’d like to take the time to connect with you as a feedlot veterinarian from Southwest Kansas, a consumer of the same beef you feed your families, and a person passionately working in production agriculture. If you have concerns or questions, I am happy to connect. I don’t have a video to go viral with because what happened is not entertaining to me, it’s my livelihood and it hurts to see my people dealing with so much loss.

Tera Barnhardt, DVM, MS

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post

This is the vid going around...brangus??

Kinda crazy story...some farmers think it was poison / bad feed?? Lotta steaks!!

Comment

I think they were packing them into feed lots with no shade or precautions to those temps. Cattle down here or in pastures can usually find shade or go take a dip in the water. Sad deal tho bc they are tough animals.

Comment

The humidity in Kansas is probably worse than Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        It’s basically the feed lots, jaming to many cattle in a confined area with no ventilation
                        They need space and air movement to cool down in 100* heat

If I had to guess, I'd say this is what's happening, too.

Comment

Fat, black Angus cattle in poor conditions.

The feedlot will be taking their losses out of our checks the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            The humidity in Kansas is probably worse than Texas.

Are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                              Are you serious?

You can’t question him! He is dead serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X