Mini Split advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Split advice

I’m building a shop that will have a small living area (300 sq ft). It will just be a bathroom with shower/toilet/sink and the remainder living/bed etc. If I install a mini split would I need a 2 zone unit? Or, is s a mini split not the best way to heat/cool? Thanks for any help, I have no experience with these units.

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
    I’m building a shop that will have a small living area (300 sq ft). It will just be a bathroom with shower/toilet/sink and the remainder living/bed etc. If I install a mini split would I need a 2 zone unit? Or, is s a mini split not the best way to heat/cool? Thanks for any help, I have no experience with these units.
    Mini-Split is absolutely your best option.....affordable, efficient and easy to install. You can get up to a 1 ton mini split inverter in 120v that is more than you will need. I would not get a 2 zone for a space that small, just put a pass through fan in the wall that goes to the bathroom

Comment

^ I agree with this. I just had mini splits installed around the house. You could get a 2 zone and only install 1 cassette and see how that works for you and add the other cassette later if one ends up not being enough or you change your mind down the road.

Comment

We had 1 in our 480 sq ft cabin & it was great.

Comment

1 zone

Comment

Just put one on the garage...

Comment

1 zone. Put an exhaust fan in that bathroom to remove moisture and it will be fine.

I would recommend an actual HVAC company that sells quality equipment like Daikin or Mitsubishi and stands behind their work. Don't be lured by the guy named Hector on FB marketplace that installs AUX, Mr. Cool, Pioneer, etc. brand for $900. They are absolute junk and parts for them are impossible to find.

Comment

Following...In the market for one too

Comment

That's small enough for a window unit. Exhaust the bath like stated above. You can get a 10k btu window unit cooling only and use a small ceramic heater for winter. I've done it and you can stay with only 120 for power.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                    That's small enough for a window unit. Exhaust the bath like stated above. You can get a 10k btu window unit cooling only and use a small ceramic heater for winter. I've done it and you can stay with only 120 for power.
                    My grandpa’s 1500sf lake house used 1 unit per 500sf , I have followed that model on every rent house , deer camp , fishing shack, for 40 years
                    I hate dealing with repair people and keep some extra window units NIB in my garage

Comment

While I’m all about mini splits, I do think it’s overkill for your 300sqft area. I feel a window unit(5000btu) would better fit the job at hand.

I will say that I watched Chigo brand mini splits work for YEARS in hot arse Afghanistan with minimal to zero maintenance. I then acquired one of those units, brought it home and installed it in my 12x16 shed where it continued without issue for 3 years before I sold the house. Not sure where they stack up these days on price, but they were cheaper than most when I installed it. If I were doing it tomorrow, I’d be getting something like a Chigo or the Mr Cool DIY kit that wouldn’t require me to have a vacuum pulled on the lines.

Comment

Just installed one in 12’x24’ Sheshed-1ton unit. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                          Just put one on the garage...
                          Can you please tell me the make and model of the one you installed? Thanks

I just had my roof replaced on my garage which is foamed. Also had them pull the whirlybird off. It's freaking hot in there now. I think my only option is a Mini Split.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                            My grandpa’s 1500sf lake house used 1 unit per 500sf , I have followed that model on every rent house , deer camp , fishing shack, for 40 years
                            I hate dealing with repair people and keep some extra window units NIB in my garage
                            What size window unit per 500 sq ft?

Comment

We had really good luck in our two story barn with portable ac units. Some of them come with both heat and air.

Comment

Working...
                              X