Searing a brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searing a brisket

Do any of you brisket guys sear them on a hot fire before heading for the smoker?

I cooked my first brisket a couple weeks back and attempted to sear it. It came out more scorched due to a significant flare up from the drippings. How do y'all avoid/reduce the excessive flare up?

I never have and dont think its necessary for brisket. The cook time is long enough to create a good bark.

Are you cooking it on indirect heat? I use an offset smoker sand put the meat as far from the heat source as possible, so flare-up isnt an issue.

Comment

You can avoid the flare up by not doing it. Even when cooking a brisket hot/fast, I wouldn't sear. But to each their own.

Comment

Why would you sear a brisket? If you smoke it right, you should have a layer of dark bark on it that would be much better than any sear?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          You can avoid the flare up by not doing it. Even when cooking a brisket hot/fast, I wouldn't sear. But to each their own.
          this

Comment

Agree with what has been said previously. No need to sear a brisket.

Comment

It’s a brisket, not a steak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Searing a brisket first would prevent the smoke from penetrating. As stated above, don't do it

Comment

I’ve never heard of it and can’t imagine why it would be necessary. Let us know if somehow it makes one better.

Properly smoking it and getting a good bark, and smoke ring is hard to beat

Comment

No, no, and no. I use an offset smoker, so if there were a flare up, that would be a major malfunction.

Comment

Only reason to sear a brisket is if you cook it "sous-vide"... There are some YouTube videos of cooking a brisked sous-vide, then searing it for looks more than anything. Thought about trying it, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet... too many other meats better for cooking sous-vide...

Comment

Since it was my first brisket I did some looking around online and had read where a few so called pit masters were recommending a sear over a hot fire so I decided to give it a shot. It turned out pretty decent. Not as much smoke as I would like but still had some. And yes, I use an offset smoker as well. I used my open pit to sear then transferred to the smoker. Sounds like I broke some sort of brisket code. Won't happen again fellas, scouts honor!

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                          Since it was my first brisket I did some looking around online and had read where a few so called pit masters were recommending a sear over a hot fire so I decided to give it a shot. It turned out pretty decent. Not as much smoke as I would like but still had some. And yes, I use an offset smoker as well. I used my open pit to sear then transferred to the smoker. Sounds like I broke some sort of brisket code. Won't happen again fellas, scouts honor!

Lol. All good Chris

I was hoping you discovered a new and improved way.

Comment

I never have and don’t think it is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                              Since it was my first brisket I did some looking around online...!
                              As a serial over-thinker, I can relate

Comment

Working...
                              X