Bow shot vs gun shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow shot vs gun shot

I got a friend that thinks gun shot animals (mainly head shot) are better eating than bow shot because of adrenaline. I can't tell the difference. What do y'all think?

I have never tasted any difference but maybe someone else will chime in.

Comment

I've noticed that bow shot animals usually have lighter colored meat, probably because the amount of blood they lose is greater. I can't tell a difference in the taste, I've never been accused of having a sensitive palette though.

Comment

I feel like bow shot animals are better tasting due to less trauma inflicted.

Just look at the wound difference between a rifle shot and a bow shot to the body - especially if the animal doesn't die instantly.

Rifle headshots may be the exception.

Comment

Sure makes a difference in cattle if they are high strung, wild or stressed the meat will be tougher.

Comment

This I know for sure, a gun shot and a bow shot sound similar if a Hoyt is involved.

Comment

I buy (a little) into the idea that a deer that's wounded and takes a while to die won't taste as good as a cleanly killed animal.

Assuming a good heart/lung shot, I doubt there would be much difference in taste between gun-shot deer and a bow-shot deer.

Comment

all tastes the same to me......

Comment

Depends on how close you are and how much burned gunpowder gets into the meat. Other than that, same same.

Comment

Lets say bow shot hog or trap caught hog vs one shot in head.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      This I know for sure, a gun shot and a bow shot sound similar if a Hoyt is involved.
                      Only if the gun is a Taurus Pistol

Comment

I don't buy into it at all.
                        It's more about the processing, than how it was killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                          Lets say bow shot hog or trap caught hog vs one shot in head.
                          Or caught by dogs.

I would guess instant death kills on a relaxed animal would be better than stressed prior to the shot and Long death runs.
                          Just a guess.

Comment

Have never noticed a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                              I don't buy into it at all.
                              It's more about the processing, than how it was killed.
                              Carcass care after the kill is important, whether getting it iced down or hung in a walk-in soonest. And careless field dressing—punctured gut or bladder—yuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X