The math is stunning! Covid 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The math is stunning! Covid 19

What if we all took this as serious as possible for the next week and see how this plays out? Hopefully we will all have a better handle on what's going on then! But if this math is close to right, social distancing TODAY is all we got and will make a huge difference! God bless you guys!!! I mean it!!!

I wrote this post on Facebook on Thursday Night, March 12th 2020. Since I wrote it, the post been shared 120k times and I’ve been asked to…

I don't read stuff that starts out with how many times it's been shared.

Comment

19 minutes to read? I'll pass. All the MLM businesses use the same math, trying to convince you that you're gonna be a gazillionaire in no time as long as you sign up 2 people, and each one of them signs up 2 people.... But somehow, it never pans out in reality. I'm very confident that the whole world isn't going to catch the coronavirus in the next month, regardless of how exponential math works. But if we all do, I'm gonna start a new MLM company to sell coronavirus vaccines (for when it mutates and nobody is immune next year). We're all gonna be safe AND rich if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        19 minutes to read? I'll pass. All the MLM businesses use the same math, trying to convince you that you're gonna be a gazillionaire in no time as long as you sign up 2 people, and each one of them signs up 2 people.... But somehow, it never pans out in reality. I'm very confident that the whole world isn't going to catch the coronavirus in the next month, regardless of how exponential math works. But if we all do, I'm gonna start a new MLM company to sell coronavirus vaccines (for when it mutates and nobody is immune next year). We're all gonna be safe AND rich if that happens.
        I hope this is all unnecessary , but math don't lie. Unfortunately this Covid19 is much better at recruiting than any MLM associate ever was. And I personally know MLM multi millionaires who made it w this type of math.
        My point is , what will be the harm of total social distancing for a week and then re-evaluate the situation? It could make a huge difference!!!

Comment

It was an interesting read...basically he states that if we "social distance" now whe can cut the exponential reproduction rate considerably. His expectations/numbers expect we double the number of cases every 3 days. Since the article was written last week, it has proved to be pretty accurate in those infection rates.

I don't live in fear nor do I get motivated by fear. I do have a rather small understanding of biology and disease from WAYYYYY on back in school. The wisdom is: be smart. Always be aware of those around you that you may come in contact with. WASH YOUR HANDS.

Toilet paper not required.

Comment

He was right.....it was too long to read for my ADD ***.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
              It was an interesting read...basically he states that if we "social distance" now whe can cut the exponential reproduction rate considerably. His expectations/numbers expect we double the number of cases every 3 days. Since the article was written last week, it has proved to be pretty accurate in those infection rates.

I don't live in fear nor do I get motivated by fear. I do have a rather small understanding of biology and disease from WAYYYYY on back in school. The wisdom is: be smart. Always be aware of those around you that you may come in contact with. WASH YOUR HANDS.

Thanks for a good summary!

Comment

Alexander Pope poet’s prediction

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                “”” The Bookful Blockhead, ignorantly read,
                With Loads of Learned Lumber in his Head,
                With his own Tongue still edifies his Ears,
                And always List'ning to Himself appears.
                Name a new Play, and he's the Poet's Friend,
                Nay show'd his Faults—but when wou'd Poets mend?
                No Place so Sacred from such Fops is barr'd,
                Nor is Paul's Church more safe than Paul's Church-yard:
                Nay, fly to Altars; there they'll talk you dead;
                For Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread.[3]

— Alexander Pope””

I will stick with social distancing

Comment

Sheep.

Gary

Comment

I've been socially distancing myself for a long time now. If you're around enough people every day to catch it I feel sorry for you. You're around way too many people.

Comment

Every math formula will have different answer. Its a nasty virus. Only the man upstairs knows the true ending. Ill make he best out of every moment until my number gets punched.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post

Yep, most of my career was in big pharma and biotechnology. There are bugs that are extremely virulent and down right nasty. We will soon see if this is one of those. Bravado with something you cant see will easily put a man on his back, I will leave that for others as my family will always come first. I will stick to being vigilant and if things die down in a week, month or year I hope we all have learned something about pandemic's.

Comment

The math is correct and is a horrifying worst case scenario that is within the realm of possible outcomes. However there are missing variables in his equation that could change everything. Those variables include both “known unknowns” and unknown unknowns”. Only time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            The math is correct and is a horrifying worst case scenario that is within the realm of possible outcomes. However there are missing variables in his equation that could change everything. Those variables include both “known unknowns” and unknown unknowns”. Only time will tell
                            This ^^^

The math can be scary “in a vacuum”.

Comment

I'm not saying pretend it's nothing and take no precautions. But the whole world is not going to catch the virus. I can't remember what it's called, but I've read 2 or 3 articles written by immunologists recently that talked about a "principal" that's named after the researcher that documented how viral outbreaks typically go. Initially, they definitely grow exponentially, but then the growth rate slows way down due to the fact that the vast majority of people aren't super mobile. Most of us aren't traveling around to different cities, states, and countries all the time. I can't remember what it's called and can't find the articles I was reading a week or two ago. Maybe somebody else knows. But the math of never ending exponential growth is scary and theoretically possible, but it never pans out that way. That doesn't mean that LOTS of people won't catch the virus before it fades away. And it doesn't mean I'm advocating that everybody run around licking door knobs and kissing all the old people in the nursing homes. It just means that worst case theoretical scenarios aren't going to happen. It can still be terrible. Just not the whole world.

All of our society is reacting as though worst case scenario is the only option. It's not even the most likely option. That doesn't mean we should do nothing. But we don't have to sacrifice everything else in order to avoid the worst case scenario that isn't going to happen anyway. We can and should take common sense precautions to reduce the severity of the outbreak, obviously. But people need to stop with the hysterical worst case scenario dooms day panic stuff. That's only making things worse than it already is.

Comment

Working...
                              X